What's new

How to Set Up iTunes Server on RT-AC66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

waffles

Regular Contributor
Until now I have been running iTunes on a PC. There I am able to connect/control it from my iOS devices (iPad, AppleTV) through the iOS Remote app.

My understanding is that router's integrated iTunes server can take the place of the PC.

I have copied my entire iTunes library ("MUSIC") with all the media and library/xml files onto an USB drive ("SAMS_500GB_1"). This drive is now connected to the router. I have enabled the iTunes server in the Router setup menu (USB application). I have set the Media server directory to "/mnt/SAMS_500GB_1/MUSIC". (I cannot navigate deeper into the folder that contains the library xml file.)

I can see the USB drive with all files/folder on the LAN. The router reports the Media Server Status as 'Idle'.

However, the library does not show up on any of my iOS devices.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

A bit of progress: the router shows up in iTunes on my PC under SHARED ('Shared Library'). However, when I select it, iTunes 'thinks' a bit then reverts back to the default library.
I get the same behavior on 2 other PCs I tried.

In the remote app on my iOS devices the router does not even show up.

(Sharing libraries amongst my PCs as well as selecting them in my iOS devices works fine.)

How do I need to set up the iTunes server on the router?

Any help, please?

Thanks!

It works on Win 7 PC iTunes

It works on Win 7 PC iTunes but I got nothing on iPhone or iPad. iTunes on iOS only goes to store. Music app looks for local files only which must come through iTunes on PC (DBM).
If someone something different let me know too.
PS
In iTunes EDIT> PREFERENCES >ADVANCE>CHANGE

Last edited:
Bill, thanks for your reply.

It seems that I am slowly making some progress: I reformatted my 500 GB drive from NTFS to EXT3. After some teething problems with gaining full access to the drive - while connected to the router, I can finally see my test media files from the router in iTunes. I can also see them from my iPad Remote app (edit: looks like I need to have iTunes running on a PC. That PC then accesses the router library and 'serves it out' => less than ideal). Too early for the cigar, but I am rather optimistic again.
I am copying now some 300 GB over LAN/USB to the EXT3 drive - that will take a while - keeping fingers crossed....

Last edited:
iTunes Server working or NOT ???

Has anyone gotten the itunes server working on either the RT-AC66U or the RT-AC68U?
IF someone has the itunes server running, can they please post the _complete_ instructions in how to do this?
I've followed instructions on the ASUS itunes server setup that I've found on various sites and none of the procedures result in a working itunes server running on an ASUS router.
It also seems that others that have tried to get the ASUS itunes server running have not succeeded; I've found many more posts with complaints about itunes server problems and no success stories at all.
I'll bet that no one has this working, or, if the ASUS itunes server can run, that it only works under specific restricted conditions.

So, once again, if _anyone_ has gotten the ASUS itunes server running on either an RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U router, and it runs reliably, please _do_ share the complete list of steps on how to make this happen!

Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!