What's new

How to Setup Bandwidth Limiter for a Range of IP Addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jelome1989

New Around Here
Please hear me out first.

This is what I want to do, let's say I have 2 devices and I want to limit the bandwidth of each individual device to 25mb/s, but also want to limit the aggregate use of both devices to 40mb/s. This way, each device can use up to 25mb/s of bandwidth, but both of them combined can only use up to 40mb/s.

I experimented and tried setting that in the QoS, like this:
Rule 1: 192.168.1.1 - 25mb/s
Rule 2: 192.168.1.2 - 25mb/s
Rule 3: 192.168.1.1-2 - 40mb/s

But it didn't work. Is this even possible/doable? Or any workaround to this?

This isn't a feature I've seen anywhere on a consumer router. I doubt that even a commercial or enterprise system would have anything like this 'built-in'. Of course, that is what the scripting world is for and there, RMerlin powered Asus routers will give you the best chance of doing this 'on the cheap'.

Bummer. This is somewhat of a deal breaker for me. What other brands of routers support this feature?
One makeshift solution I can think of is to get another router as the slave router.

Then, you can configure QoS bandwidth limiter to limit the speed of that particular slave router and connect whatever devices that you wish to limit to that router.

However, this will cause double NAT. Devices connected to the slave router will not be able to talk to devices connected to the main router.

However, this will cause double NAT. Devices connected to the slave router will not be able to talk to devices connected to the main router.

The devices connected to the second double NATed router will be able to see and connect with devices on the first router however devices on the first router will not be able to see devices connected to the second router.