What's new

How to Setup WiFI to automatically switch off when no devices are connected?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Loona4821

New Around Here
Hello all,
I would like to know if it is possible to setup my router to go into a standby mode when no wireless clients are connected to it, and then when one of the wireless clients goes to connect, the WiFi comes back online.
Something similar to what I am looking for is with the JRS Eco WiFi router, https://www.jrseco.com/pcat/low-radiation-wifi-routers-jrs-eco-wifi/.

But this is for the radiation, and I am looking for it as more of a security thing. If the clients have to know the WiFi SSID before it is even active, it is a lot more secure. Like two passwords, kind of.

I don't want to buy one of these anti radiation WiFi routers just for the simple security feature, and I also cannot use my existing RT-AC5300 with their $100 firmware because it says it is not compatible.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Thanks.

I would guess this would actually need to put the radios into low power mode rather than turn them off! It'll be interesting to see if there is any great advantage to this, based on the total energy consumption and not just that of the radios!

Today's routers with their highly power-optimized SoCs already do what is being asked.

When no client/load is placed on them, they sip power. Even with a full load, they need far less than 40W too, for mere routing duties.

Turning off your router's WiFi radios (only) is like having Canada shovel piles of money towards the 'environment' while the USA, Russia, and the rest of the world do nothing.

You're already living in this world. Don't stress about trivial things. Particularly trivial things you can't change.

and then when one of the wireless clients goes to connect, the WiFi comes back online.
How would the router know that a client is trying to talk to it over wifi if it had disabled its wifi radio?

How would the router know that a client is trying to talk to it over wifi if it had disabled its wifi radio?
When connecting to a wifi the wireless client always asks "Hey, is WiFi Network 1 here?", and then when the router recives the signal that the device is asking for it, it turns on and says "I am here". and then they connect.

I am looking for it as more of a security thing. If the clients have to know the WiFi SSID before it is even active, it is a lot more secure. Like two passwords, kind of.

Any WiFi Analyzer app can see an active SSID, so there is no security/two 'passwords' in what you are describing.

OE

Any WiFi Analyzer app can see an active SSID, so there is no security/two 'passwords' in what you are describing.

OE
That is a good point. This JRS Eco router must only becon the SSID when it is in the learning mode and then it doesn't until a device asks for it first.

I am thinking it might be best to just buy the firmware and buy an ASUS RT-AC66U B1, but it says RMerlin is a Asuswrt-Merlin dev so I will wait to see what they say first.

Thanks everyone

I am thinking it might be best to just buy the firmware and buy an ASUS RT-AC66U B1, but it says RMerlin is a Asuswrt-Merlin dev so I will wait to see what they say first.

Thanks everyone

For all practical purposes, the JRS Eco routers are snake oil, imo. And I would not buy firmware... that's a recipe for out-dated and insecure firmware (on old model routers). Save your money and buy a current wireless router, or wire your devices.

OE

When connecting to a wifi the wireless client always asks "Hey, is WiFi Network 1 here?", and then when the router recives the signal that the device is asking for it, it turns on and says "I am here". and then they connect.
If the router's radio is off, then it's completely off - it won't be listening. And the client won't see the router's beacons either signaling its presence. So, the radio has to still be enabled to be able to receive incoming connections.

Code:
The JRS Eco firmware is an extension of the Asus firmware and you retain full functionality.

I don't know if by extensions they mean they modded Asuswrt. If so... ask them for the GPL source code. They can't sell you a modified firmware and refuse to provide its source code when it contains GPL components.

I don't know if by extensions they mean they modded Asuswrt.

They use your 384.17 firmware. See this video, 9:10 mark:

Tools menu, Internet Traffic meter, Wi-Fi icon... your logo covered with theirs.

They use your 384.17 firmware. See this video, 9:10 mark:

Tools menu, Internet Traffic meter, Wi-Fi icon... your logo covered with theirs.
I think you mean this video:
You just copied the reviews page from their website.
At the 9:10 point

If the router's radio is off, then it's completely off - it won't be listening. And the client won't see the router's beacons either signaling its presence. So, the radio has to still be enabled to be able to receive incoming connections.

Code:
The JRS Eco firmware is an extension of the Asus firmware and you retain full functionality.

I don't know if by extensions they mean they modded Asuswrt. If so... ask them for the GPL source code. They can't sell you a modified firmware and refuse to provide its source code when it contains GPL components.
I have emailed them and asked. Thanks for your assistance, it is very much appreciated.

The closest to a "legit" eco mode is already present in Asuswrt BTW, however I don't know if it's a test project, something specific to the EU, or something already available and managed through their mobile app - I just ran accross bits of code related to that last night while working on something else. Eco mode will turn down radio to become 1T1R (single stream), which keeps them running at a lower power level. Anyone using their mobile app, see if it shows something referring to ECO Guard.

You get more radiation stepping outside in the sun than from a router, trust me i've tested it with geiger counters at work when I've got bored. I got more radiation in the car park than from any devices at work, even nuclear lights I was testing.

The closest to a "legit" eco mode is already present in Asuswrt BTW, however I don't know if it's a test project, something specific to the EU, or something already available and managed through their mobile app - I just ran accross bits of code related to that last night while working on something else. Eco mode will turn down radio to become 1T1R (single stream), which keeps them running at a lower power level. Anyone using their mobile app, see if it shows something referring to ECO Guard.
I have a RT-AC5300, can I use the app to try to see if I can find the ECO Guard? I'm in the US.
Here is the website JRS Eco Provided: https://www.jrseco.com/gpl-source-code/

I found somthing regarding the ECO mode when I googled it. I am going to try it in just a bit. https://asusroutermanual.blogspot.com/2015/11/wifi-eco-mode.html (This website does seem a bit sketchy though)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!