What's new

how to share single computer/printer across both guest and wpa2-personal protected networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cuekay

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering how I might be able to accomplish this. I'm mainly asking such that I can share a printer between both the guest and wpa2-personal protected networks, but figured I'd also describe it as a "computer" since the printer I'm connected has an IP address within the wpa2-protected network as if it were a computer/workstation. Thank you!

I was wondering how I might be able to accomplish this. I'm mainly asking such that I can share a printer between both the guest and wpa2-personal protected networks, but figured I'd also describe it as a "computer" since the printer I'm connected has an IP address within the wpa2-protected network as if it were a computer/workstation. Thank you!

When I originally wrote a script to map SSIDs to VPNs, the top must-have feature that was constantly asked for was "allow access to LAN printers".

Now with the need to use the isolated Guest WiFi SSIDs for (non-VPN) IoT, it is now becoming increasingly common to create custom 'pin-holes' through the firewall.

e.g. Share two "printers" 192.168.1.123 and 192.168.1.222 for the 2.4GHz Guest 1 SSID.
Code:
./WiFiVPN.sh   wl0.1   novpn   lanip=192.168.1.123,192.168.1.222
NOTE: The two LAN devices cannot initiate unsolicited outbound connections.

Code:
./WiFiVPN.sh -h

#============================================================================== © 2016-2018 Martineau, v01.08
#
# Configure a WiFi interface to use a VPN Client connection (called from 'vpnclientX-route-up)
#
#          WiFiVPN     [ {'help'} | {'-h'} | status | diag]
#                      { wifi_interface | ssid [ vpn_number | 'del' | 'status'] }  ['nodns'] ['autodnsmasq'] ['nobridge']
#                      ['openlan'] ['novpn'] ['vlan'{X} [notag]] ['debug'] ['brctlopt']
#                      ['lanip='lan_ip[,...]] ['pinhole='lan_ip[:port[:'tcp'|'udp'[:'src'|'dst']][,...]] [log]
# e.g.
#          WiFiVPN
#                      List ALL WiFi interfaces and associated VPN bridges.
#          WiFiVPN     wl0.2 1
#                      Guest 2.4Ghz #2 (wl0.2) is forced to use VPN Client 1 using bridge 1 (br1) and forces VPN 1 DNS
#          WiFiVPN     wl0.2 del
#                      Guest 2.4Ghz #2 (wl0.2) is reset to use the WAN rather than the VPN
#          WiFiVPN     wl0.2 nodns
#                      Guest 2.4Ghz #2 (wl0.2) is forced to use VPN Client 1 using bridge 1 (br1) and uses router DNS.
#          WifiVPN     wl1.3 status
#                      Guest 5Ghz #3 (wl1.3) config is listed in detail.
#          WiFiVPN     br2g24 5
#                      Guest SSID 'br2g24' (could be 2.4GHz Wifi Guest #2!?) is forced to use VPN Client 5 using bridge 5 (br5) and forces VPN 5 DNS
#          WiFiVPN     eth1 1 log
#                      2.4Ghz WiFi network (eth1) is forced to use VPN Client 1 using bridge 1 (br1) and forces VPN 1 DNS,
#                      but ACCEPT/DROP replaced by logaccept/logaccept for diagnostic tracking in Syslog.
#          WiFiVPN     eth2 2
#                      5Ghz WiFi network (eth2) is forced to use VPN Client 2 using bridge 2 (br2) and forces VPN 2 DNS
#          WiFiVPN     wl1.2 2 lanip=10.88.8.131,10.88.8.99:161 pinhole=10.88.8.111:3030:udp:src
#                      Guest 5Ghz #2 (wl1.2) is forced to use VPN Client 2, and bridge 2 (br2) has full access to LAN device 10.88.8.131,
#                      and Port 161 on LAN device 10.88.8.99. Also LAN device 10.88.8.111 with source Port 3030 can access the VPN bridge.
#          WiFiVPN     status
#                      List ALL WiFi interfaces and associated VPN bridges.
#          WiFiVPN     diag
#                      List ALL WiFi interfaces and associated VPN bridges. Prompts to delete/show config.
#          WiFiVPN     wl1.2 novpn
#                      Guest 5Ghz #2 (wl1.2) will be created on next available bridge, and will explicitly use the WAN
#          WiFiVPN     wl1.2 novpn vlan4
#                      Guest 5Ghz #2 (wl1.2) will be created on next available bridge, and will explicitly use the WAN, also
#                      Switch tagged (trunk) Port 4 (br40) will be attached to the WiFi bridge.
#          WiFiVPN     wl1.3 novpn vlan4 notag
#                      Guest 5Ghz #3 (wl1.3) will be created on next available bridge, and will explicitly use the WAN, also
#                      Switch un-tagged Port 4 (br40) will be attached to the WiFi bridge.

If you wish to try out my script let me know.

awesome. thanks, Martineau. That's great to see that this is available as an option. I'll probably loop back to it if I see a pressing need for this since I can already sense that there will be hours spent on debugging as is usually the case when I introduce something new to my router configuration.