What's new

How to show home IP when connected by openVPN to AsusWrt-router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qwyrp

Occasional Visitor
I've installed openVPN on my AC68U and it working like a charm. I can safely connect to home with my mobile phone so I can see my home devices etc. When I check the IP I get the IP where I'm located instead of my home IP. Is there a way to show my homeIP ?
In the past I'm using openVPN on a Raspberry Pi and whenever I'm on location (outside my home) it still shows the home IP and therefore my secuirty can be harden to only allow the home-ip for maintenance or whatever

When I do this, I do see my home IP address. And I've just checked, it's also the case if I connect via 3G (as opposed to remote wifi).

I'm racking my brains: there have been occasions when I have not seen my home IP address - maybe it was with PPTP on 3G or maybe I completely mistaken. Certainly, on OpenVPN, if I don't see my home IP address I know I'm not connected. So I can't explain what you are seeing and, at present, I can't think of anything to troubleshoot it.

I wonder if it's one of the settings in the advanced page of the OpenVPN server. There are 4 sertings: Push LAN to clients down to advertise DNS to clients. Mine are all set to YES.

Direct clients to redirect internet traffic.

Note that if you DO NOT have this option checked internet data will not be sent through the vpn tunnel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!