What's new

How to speedtest between Router <-> PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ubimo

Very Senior Member
How do I conduct a speedtest (download & upload) between my router (AC86U, MerlinFW) and my WindowsPC?
I'm connected to my router via WLAN 5GHz.

Last edited:
iPerf or iPerf3 isn't included in the MerlinFW.

Wire another PC to the router. Send a big file (gigabytes in size) from your wireless PC to the wired PC. The transfer speed is your Wi-Fi to the router speed. I can get up to 68MB/sec transfer to my NAS, or about 550Mbps over wireless from common 2-stream AC client. It has to be close to one of my APs and the Wi-Fi channel has to be relatively quiet. Most of the time I see 420-480Mbps steady. This is close to what you'll see with AC86U in similar conditions.

iPerf or iPerf3 isn't included in the MerlinFW.

1647785072370.png

Weird, apparently not on mine:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 386.5_0 Wed Mar  2 16:37:00 UTC 2022
admin@RT-AC86U-9AD0:/tmp/home/root# iperf3 -v
-sh: iperf3: not found
admin@RT-AC86U-9AD0:/tmp/home/root#

iperf3 is only included in some of the newer models (just so I can keep that in sync with Asus).

I recommend installing it through Entware if you need it. Be aware that on older routers (particularly dual core ones), the CPU might end up being your bottleneck, not your network.