What's new

How to start NTP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zer0bitz

Regular Contributor
Im getting Waiting for NTP to sync... in my system log and get any jffs stuff to work. What command I can put in SSH to router to start NTP?

There may be as many as 4 choices for NTP:
Merlin NTP client
Merlin NTP server
Jack Yaz NTP server
Jack Yaz chrony server

How to start would be different for each one.

We have no way of knowing but usually this happens because DNS was not ready to do a lookup of your NTP servers.

I see from your signature that you may have replaced the firmware's NTP with ntpMerlin. So I suggest you investigate why that appears to not be working properly.

A lot of the addon scripts, including ntpMerlin, have a 5 or 10 minute timer going to check that the built-in NTP has synced before they start, and spit out that log message each check. Eventually they start or exit. Do you have scripts that are exiting instead of starting?

Have you checked the status of NTP in the "Administration->System" page? Most scripts, including Jack's NTPMerlin wait until Asus's stock NTP client syncs. Sounds to me that Asus's NTP is not syncing.

I got it working by enabling ntp watchdog script in scmerlin. Thank you all for quick replys.

I got tired of DoT problems about three years ago because NTP namee wasn't resolved quick enough. I hard coded the NTP server choice IP address into the GUI and have never had a problem since.

Routers: RTAC86U & RTAC68W

I got tired of DoT problems about three years ago because NTP namee wasn't resolved quick enough. I hard coded the NTP server choice IP address into the GUI and have never had a problem since.

+1, has worked well for me for a long time now!

I think you are just fortunate the ip addresses of those ntp servers have never changed. But either way, kudos to cheat the broken system.