What's new

Skynet How to stop Skynet from the shell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mxoz

Occasional Visitor
What is the command to stop Skynet service from the shell?

In amtm I cannot do it because when I select "Skynet" option it just shows the banner and then "Skynet: [*] Waiting For NTP To Sync" and never gets to the menu.
I need to stop it to troubleshoot other issues with the router (RT-AX58U, 386.5_2).

What is the command to stop Skynet service from the shell?

In amtm I cannot do it because when I select "Skynet" option it just shows the banner and then "Skynet: [*] Waiting For NTP To Sync" and never gets to the menu.
I need to stop it to troubleshoot other issues with the router (RT-AX58U, 386.5_2).
Maybe you need a working DNS?
Are you perhaps in the situation i was in when servername of NTP could not be resolved?

Try using the direct ip of your NTP pool and ser if that solves anything.

Maybe you need a working DNS?
Are you perhaps in the situation i was in when servername of NTP could not be resolved?

Try using the direct ip of your NTP pool and ser if that solves anything.
However, your NTP issue was irrevocably caused by your own design, You point your wan dns 1 at your router, which means /etc/resolv.conf will point to the router himself. If you have no DNS server defined in the second DNS slot, who is the router talking to to sync the clock? Himself? there is no DNS resolution when you do this. So applications waiting for NTP wont start. Can you say disaster by design? Honestly though you didn't need to do this with adguardhome, because once adguardhome starts it supplies a loopback bind mount to /etc/resolv.conf which makes the router only talk to itself (a.k.a. adguardhome). So, if you were to run dns servers (for example 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) in your wan dns1 and 2 slots, the initial boot of your router would be the only dns leak you would experienced (which is to sync the clock), once adguardhome started, the leak would go away.

However, your NTP issue was irrevocably caused by your own design, You point your wan dns 1 at your router, which means /etc/resolv.conf will point to the router himself. If you have no DNS server defined in the second DNS slot, who is the router talking to to sync the clock? Himself? there is no DNS resolution when you do this. So applications waiting for NTP wont start. Can you say disaster by design? Honestly though you didn't need to do this with adguardhome, because once adguardhome starts it supplies a loopback bind mount to /etc/resolv.conf which makes the router only talk to itself (a.k.a. adguardhome). So, if you were to run dns servers (for example 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) in your wan dns1 and 2 slots, the initial boot of your router would be the only dns leak you would experienced (which is to sync the clock), once adguardhome started, the leak would go away.
Aha ok, i did not know this. I thought the DNS set in the router was the one used for all my clients on the network. As it would do without adguard home. Hehe

Aha ok, i did not know this. I thought the DNS set in the router was the one used for all my clients on the network. As it would do without adguard home. Hehe
I think your confusion is lan DNS versus wan DNS.
in this instance:
LAN DNS= the DNS handed to clients. (specifically the address handed to clients). usually this would be your routers address.

WAN DNS= DNS used by the router. (also the dns used by clients when they send request to your routers address (a.k.a handed out by lan dhcp service a.k.a dnsmasq). however when other services are intervening (like the adguardhome script.) this is not the case. AdGuardhome takes over the routers address at port 53, and pushes dnsmasq (the router default DNS server) out of the way by change the default dns port it uses.

Your router uses entries in (/etc/resolv.conf) to set ntp. these entries are controlled by WAN dns1 and Wan dns 2 slot. Whenever Adguardhome starts it mount binds over these entries so your router sends its request to adguardhome as well. (adguardhome doesn't do such until NTP is set which depends on your initial entries in wan dns 1 and 2.). If you put the routers IP here, you will not be able to resolve NTP addresses because the router is only talking to itself.

Last edited:
I think your confusion is lan DNS versus wan DNS.
in this instance:
LAN DNS= the DNS handed to clients. (specifically the address handed to clients). usually this would be your routers address.

WAN DNS= DNS used by the router. (also the dns used by clients when they send request to your routers address (a.k.a handed out by lan dhcp service a.k.a dnsmasq). however when other services are intervening (like the adguardhome script.) this is not the case. AdGuardhome takes over the routers address at port 53, and pushes dnsmasq (the router default DNS server) out of the way by change the default dns port it uses.

Your router uses entries in (/etc/resolv.conf) to set ntp. these entries are controlled by WAN dns1 and Wan dns 2 slot. Whenever Adguardhome starts it mount binds over these entries so your router sends its request to adguardhome as well. (adguardhome doesn't do such until NTP is set which depends on your initial entries in wan dns 1 and 2.). If you put the routers IP here, you will not be able to resolve NTP addresses because the router is only talking to itself.

Ok i see. There should be a notice of this when installing adguard home and it detects unbound. Or something. Atleast for me who did not know this, and my guess is that i am not alone. From my point of view it would not hurt with a heads up in some way. A recommendation of sort.
Anything really without have to be a expert in the field.

Ok i see. There should be a notice of this when installing adguard home and it detects unbound. Or something. Atleast for me who did not know this, and my guess is that i am not alone. From my point of view it would not hurt with a heads up in some way. A recommendation of sort.
Anything really without have to be a expert in the field.
There is a disclaimer in the first post of the thread. Disclaimer number 4.