What's new

How to switch Asuscomm DDNS to a new router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PolarBear

I searched quite thoroughly and didn't find much information, but apologise in advance if this has already been covered somewhere.

I want to register my public IP address with a DDNS service. Since I have an Asus router, I have decided to use Asuscomm. Some have remarked that it is not very reliable, but since my IP changes only infrequently, I think I can live with this.

What documentation I can find suggest that the Asuscomm subdomain name I choose will be tied to my Asus router's MAC address.

And when I upgrade to a new Asus router, the following procedure is recommended to transfer the subdomain to the MAC address of the new router:

1-register a new (junk) subdomain with the old router
2-in a few hours this will cause the "real" subdomain name to become free
3-now register the real subdomain again, using the new router.

This sounds good, if the old router is still functioning.

If however the reason for replacement is that the old router has broken, could I deregister the subdomain using the new router, set up temporarily to use the old router's MAC address ?

If this is possible, I could chose a subdomain name which makes sense to the rest of the family (for example "PolarBearHome") and continue to use this for many years.

If not, then maybe I would be better to chose a "throwaway" subdomin name, and be prepared to change it when necessary.

Last edited: