What's new

How to throttle my guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DonnyB

Occasional Visitor
I just replaced an old router in our church. The old router had a setting that I could control the guest network so it had smaller bandwidth. This is helpful to us because we live stream and don't need to compete
with people using wifi. I know I could change the password and not allow people on the wifi, but rather wanted a way to throttle the guest network. Is there a way to do that?

I just replaced an old router in our church. The old router had a setting that I could control the guest network so it had smaller bandwidth. This is helpful to us because we live stream and don't need to compete
with people using wifi. I know I could change the password and not allow people on the wifi, but rather wanted a way to throttle the guest network. Is there a way to do that?

Guest WLANs on an Asus router allow you to limit download and upload bandwidth:
1610316012598.png

I'd look for a similar QoS function on your router.

OE

It looks like I have a QOS section, but it can control devices on the network, but not the guest network.

EDIT: I have another thought, would this work? I have a static IP Modem. My new router is connected to the modem. Could I connect the old router to the modem in addition to the new one. I could set it as AP mode, since it does have bw control at the guest network level.
Just an aside - the old, slow router has bw control for the guest network. The shiny new router doesn't have that option.

Last edited:
if the modem has enough ports, yes. Otherwise, plug the old router into a lan port on the existing router. use the old router's QOS to limit bandwidth. you might even be able to force the lan port to 100mbit or even 10mbit rate.

OzarkEdge, what model of Asus router did your screenshot come from? I looked at a few Asus routers and none had the feature you describe.

RT-AC68U, RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AX58U, RT-AC-86U, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U all have those options running RMerlin 386.1 Beta 'x'.