What's new

How to use “3G/4G USB modem” on ASUS Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spritezf

Occasional Visitor
Hi, guys! ASUWRT provide set USB port as WAN on those models which have USB port and support 3G/4G modem feature.Today we’ll talk about how to use it, also take RT-AC88U for example.

1. You can find 3G/4G setting page by login FW page and goto USB Application part. Refer to picture 1.

2. Click on hyper link you will guide to “Internet Connection” to Enable USB Mode. USB Device support USB Modem& USB Tethering with Android Phone.
  1. USB Modem Mode, choose automatic APN configuration if your ISP profile is the same as the default setting or chooses manual setting and filling the correct value which comes from your ISP. Refer to picture 2.

2. USB Tethering Mode, follow the steps: Refer to picture 3

Connect your Android phone to ASUS router with a USB cable.

Select USB Device to [Android Phone] and click [Apply].

Manually enable USB Tethering on your Android phone.
  3. 3G_4G.jpg

Nice tutorial!
Do you still have to reboot or manually re-enable the WAN port if you USB as a failover?

@spritezf , Which version of firmware are you on to get the Android phone prompt for USB modem? TIA

i have a asus dsl-ac68u that i use specifically as just 3g/4g with no dsl connected , i can use ether a 3g dongle or my htc phone to make this work and once you get the usb working as the primary wan you can disable the secondary wan as well

eg go to WAN / dual wan

select usb as the primary wan and anything as the secondary wan and save

once it reboots setup the usb as above and ensure its working and then reboot

you can then go to dual wan again and disable it ensuring usb is the primary wan and save