What's new

How to use "AP-client+AP" bridge mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hugohehuan

New Around Here
I have not a wired internet access can be insert the WAN port, but a wifi instead.
I have used a RT-N56U router with padavan firmware for a long time before. It has a bridge mode named "AP-client+AP" to access the wifi as WAN port.

I just get a RT-AC86U with merlin firmware version 386.3.
How can I change the bridge mode to "AP-client+AP"?

Oh……

Is it possible to realized by typing commands in SSH terminal?
No. The firmware does not support this mode of operation (i.e. wireless WAN). This question has been asked before.

The only wireless modes are Repeater, Media Bridge or WDS.

Realize you can convert *any* router into a wireless client (aka, WISP router) by patching a wireless ethernet bridge to its WAN. Having that capability built-in is nice, but it's NOT as if it's required to get the functionality required. A wireless ethernet bridge can either be purchased as a standalone device, or perhaps using another router w/ appropriate firmware (e.g., FT (FreshTomato or DD-WRT).

This is two routers setup though, not one router with WISP.

FreshTomato can do it, but not on every listed as supported hardware.

I think you misunderstood my point.

I stand by what I said. *ANY* wired router can be converted to a WISP router by patching a wireless ethernet bridge to its WAN. In fact, *ANY* wired device period can be converted into a wireless capable device doing the same. The source of that wireless bridge can be a standalone device intended specifically for that purpose, or perhaps another router capable of being converted to a wireless ethernet bridge (e.g., FT).

I wasn't suggesting the OP use an FT router as a WISP router (which can be problematic), if that's perhaps how you interpreted my comments.

What is acting as wireless ethernet bridge? Isn't it a second router/device?

Yes. Many ppl would like the Merlin router to support WISP (aka client) mode natively. It doesn't. And so you can't solve the problem w/ a single device. But you can using TWO devices, the router in question + a wireless ethernet bridge. That's all I'm saying. Whether this will satisfy the OP's need for a WISP router is up to him. If he insists on a single device, he's out of luck as far as Merlin is concerned.

Realize you can convert *any* router into a wireless client (aka, WISP router) by patching a wireless ethernet bridge to its WAN. Having that capability built-in is nice, but it's NOT as if it's required to get the functionality required. A wireless ethernet bridge can either be purchased as a standalone device, or perhaps using another router w/ appropriate firmware (e.g., FT (FreshTomato or DD-WRT).
It's not convenience to have two standalone devices...
To find a third-party firmware for routers with Qualcomm's solution is o diffiult..
Keeping using the old RT-N56U maybe the best way for me..

It's not convenience to have two standalone devices...
To find a third-party firmware for routers with Qualcomm's solution is o diffiult..
Keeping using the old RT-N56U maybe the best way for me..

I understand. But it's also inconvenient to NOT be able to use your favorite firmware/hardware. At least w/ two devices, you can use anything you already have since the wireless issue is resolved outside the router, rather than being dependent on it. IOW, inconvenience comes in many forms. But I understand a two-device solution isn't for everybody.