What's new

How to use both AC86u and AC66 b1 as repeaters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vegetaleb

Occasional Visitor
Hello
Here's my situation, the wifi modem I have is a nokia fiber modem which has 2.4gh only.
I made the AC86u as a repeater to use the Internet given by this modem in both bands, 5g is reaching 150mb/s while the modem itself was giving 85mb/s!!
Anyway, I bought the AC66u b1 yesterday so I can cover the rest of my house and use it as wifi receiver for my desktop PC by lan.
I made it as repeater too and chose 5gRPT signal, it created another 2 ssid, though when I try to connect to them I simply can't! Same goes on the desktop PC over ethernet, nothing. Even the WiFi of the ac86u won't work anymore giving a "couldn't get ip address" error till I shutdown the ac66u b1!!
Can't we use 2 asus routers both in repeater mode?
Or I am missing a settings somewhere?

Disable modem's own Wi-Fi, plug the AC86U there and use it as a router. Use the AC66U B1 as AiMesh node. Repeaters not needed.

Disable modem's own Wi-Fi, plug the AC86U there and use it as a router. Use the AC66U B1 as AiMesh node. Repeaters not needed.
If I do that I will lose 30 to 50% of the speed to the AC66u, as the modem is a bit further and behind 2 other walls.
So it's not feasible repeater on repeater? My old tenda single band router could do it so why wouldn't an asus?

If you use your ISP modem/router as router with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi only, you can't use the full potential of your AC86U (you miss all Asuswrt features, including AiProtection) and you limit yourself to what the ISP equipment is capable of. First repeater bandwidth is cut by 1/2, second repeater by 1/4. Your plan makes things worse.

If you use your ISP modem/router as router with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi only, you can't use the full potential of your AC86U (you miss all Asuswrt features, including AiProtection) and you limit yourself to what the ISP equipment is capable of. First repeater bandwidth is cut by 1/2, second repeater by 1/4. Your plan makes things worse.
I tested the network coverage of the ac86u close to the modem to see if I can get enough speed on the ac66u, unfortunately the signal was too weak to let the ac86u there and plug the ethernet cable on the modem to transform the ac86u into a roiter.
So I tried again to connect the ac66u to the ac86u both as repeaters, this time using static ip.... It kinda worked
I mean Lan could get full speed of 125mb/s, the repeated 5g 65mb/s... But the new 2.4 ssid didn't get Internet, go figures!!
About dns1 and dns2 of the ac66u static ip, I set 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.254 which is the ips of the modem
There is definitely something wrong

It’s a strange decision to spend $250 or more (I don’t know the prices in your country) on 2x AiMesh capable routers and use them as 2.4GHz repeaters. I would definitely use the AC86U as router and eventually AC66U B1 as AiMesh node with 2.4GHz backhaul, if the 5GHz signal to it is too weak. Other option AC86U as router and AC66U B1 as repeater to 2.4GHz band. If repeater is all you need, 2.4GHz repeaters start from $30.

It’s a strange decision to spend $250 or more (I don’t know the prices in your country) on 2x AiMesh capable routers and use them as 2.4GHz repeaters. I would definitely use the AC86U as router and eventually AC66U B1 as AiMesh node with 2.4GHz backhaul, if the 5GHz signal to it is too weak. Other option AC86U as router and AC66U B1 as repeater to 2.4GHz band. If repeater is all you need, 2.4GHz repeaters start from $30.
As I said, the network signal from the ac86u to ac66u is way too weak if put it close to the modem, I will try again though

I guess, your house is a solid concrete/brick structure. I would explore all available options to run a wire, even outdoor runs around the house. Wired routers will give you much better overall experience and you can use the full potential of what you have.

As I said, the network signal from the ac86u to ac66u is way too weak if put it close to the modem, I will try again though
I guess, your house is a solid concrete/brick structure. I would explore all available options to run a wire, even outdoor runs around the house. Wired routers will give you much better overall experience and you can use the full potential of what you have.
Ok I tried 4 times moving the antennas, impossible to join both asus if the ac86u is close to the modem.
The speed reached 250mb/s when it was wired to the modem!
If I get a 3rd asus mesh compatible, so I put the ac86u as the main router mesh and 2 nodes, will the speed decrease by 1/2 on each node like repeaters?

The speed reached 250mb/s when it was wired to the modem!

See, it's much better! Now the challenge is how to get this speed to the other parts of the house. Explore all possible wired options.

If I get a 3rd asus mesh compatible, so I put the ac86u as the main router mesh and 2 nodes, will the speed decrease by 1/2 on each node like repeaters?

Yes, wireless AiMesh is a central management repeaters system. This is valid if you use the same radio for backhaul and clients at the same time.

I finally got it to work with the AC86u as router mesh on modem (cable), and the AC66u as mesh node.
A friend came with an electric drill and did a hole between my room and the hallway, so I could pass an ethernet cable between my PC and the ac66. Add to that this time I shut down the modem's wifi... Bingo the mesh network wirked like a charm.
Now I have 280mb/s on my PC and 170mb/s on the ac66 wifi which is excellent for me.
It even resolved the last dead spot in the house
The only thing is that sometimes (twice already) the ac86u decides from its own to stop mesh with the ac66u, I had to click on the mesh icon to re-enable it.
Is this normal?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!