What's new

How to use dual-gigabit NAS link?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brady

New Around Here
Hey All ... my sincere apologies if this has been discussed somewhere, but in trying to search the forums, I found too many posts matching the keywords "dual gigabit".

There are a number of NAS models (from QNAP and others) which feature dual gigabit Ethernet interfaces. Is this a true statement?
Dual gigabit is only an advantage when connected to a switch that supports link aggregation.
If the above is false how would I benefit from dual gigabit interfaces when my local switch has no such aggregation capability? (Presumably, the NAS would have 2 separate IP addresses so what's the "trick" that allows it to be used to increase performance?)

Thanks,
Brady

basically you need a switch that supports LACP. There are 2 types of aggregration - bonding or LACP. Some switches support both, Some support only 1.

There is a bonding mode called non switch dependent meaning it will have 2 uplinks but only 1 downlink.

With LAG - each session is going to be the same as any single link speed...

LAG improves capacity, but speeds for any single client are going to be similar..