What's new

How to use “Static Route” on ASUS Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spritezf

Occasional Visitor
Hi, Guys! Today we’ll talk about how to use “Static Route” on ASUS Router, also take RT-AC88U for example

1.Suppose you want to access another subnet which connected behind your router.

Ex. Add LAN Static Route to allow Test Station1 to access Test Station2.You can add LAN static route on ASUS Router’s LAN-Route page, refer to the picture 1 about network topology.

2.Suppose you want to access another network which at your WAN side but not the same subnet as your WAN network,you can choose WAN or MAN static route

2.1 Ex. Add WAN Static Route to permit Test Station1 to access Test Station2 and Test Station3.You can add LAN static route on ASUS Router’s LAN-Route page,refer to the picture 2 about network topology.

2.2 Ex. Add MAN Static Route to allow Test Station1 to access Test Station2.You can add LAN static route on ASUS Router’s LAN-Route page, refer to the picture 3 about network topology.

Attachments

• StaticRoute.jpg
    StaticRoute.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 23,752
Static routes work the same way on any router.

Distance is important as it is the weightage considered between one route to another so it doesnt route to 0.0.0.0/0 (or basically your internet) with another layer 3 network when routing. You can think of distance as the word itself or as which routes have higher priority than another if a destination is reachable within multiple routes. Same distance means that it can go either way and can be used for redundant links as whichever responds first.

Last edited:
Hi, Guys! Today we’ll talk about how to use “Static Route” on ASUS Router, also take RT-AC88U for example

Ex. Add LAN Static Route to allow Test Station1 to access Test Station2.You can add LAN static route on ASUS Router’s LAN-Route page, refer to the picture 1 about network topology.

2.Suppose you want to access another network which at your WAN side but not the same subnet as your WAN network,you can choose WAN or MAN static route

2.1 Ex. Add WAN Static Route to permit Test Station1 to access Test Station2 and Test Station3.You can add LAN static route on ASUS Router’s LAN-Route page,refer to the picture 2 about network topology.

2.2 Ex. Add MAN Static Route to allow Test Station1 to access Test Station2.You can add LAN static route on ASUS Router’s LAN-Route page, refer to the picture 3 about network topology.

Great post, thank you.
I am troubleshooting at the moment something that might be solved by static routes, you tell me.

My setup consist of two Playstation 4 consoles, each connected to the same router (Asus RT-AC68U). My Asus router is then connected to a dual WAN, one which is a 4G LTE router and the other which is an ADSL router.
Both consoles use DHCP (the Asus router is the DHCP server). My problem is that one of the Playstation 4 consoles are not able to connect to any PSN service or play online. The other console works as expected.

I think I might have a NAT problem and that the console that doesn't connect to anything is accessing the internet through the 4G LTE. The 4G LTE ISP might have NAT in their own network before it's routed to me, so that is why I think I am experiencing trible-NAT problem (NAT in ISP network, NAT between 4G LTE router and Asus router and then NAT to my LAN). The other console using the ADSL router has no problems. I want the consoles to be on each of their own internet connection.

How can I solve this NAT problem (been trying to read all about NAT and static routes, but havent found a solution yet)?
------------------
Edited:

I just tried the routing rules on the Dual WAN page on the Asus router. After I specifically limited the PS4, that was already working, to only use the secondary WAN (ADSL router), the problematic PS4 started working. Is this a sign that the problematic PS4 is now using port triggering and that was why I could have two playstations using the same WAN connection at the same time? Port triggering is not enabled on the Asus router and not on the 4G LTE either. So is this because of UPnP?

I would really love to be able to choose whichever of the WAN connections to use for both Playstations at the same time and understand how to setup static routes in combination with NAT or without it. But how do I achieve that by static routes or NAT configuration?

Last edited:
I am confused. In scenario 1, my understanding is the benefit that the second router (the one on the left) would absolutely prevent access to any of it's LAN machines (Test Station 2). But if I am reading this correctly, and I am no networking expert of course, but are you saying someone can plug in a router on the WAN side of that second router and simply add a route and break into the, what should be, protected LAN of that second router?? Can someone please explain this a bit?

Thanks.

The OP is not particularly helpful because it makes various assumptions about the network setup that it doesn't explain.
but are you saying someone can plug in a router on the WAN side of that second router and simply add a route and break into the, what should be, protected LAN of that second router??
Routers don't "protect" a LAN they just route traffic. With that in mind...

1. Without a static route on "Your Router" any traffic from 192.168.1.x destined for 192.168.2.x will be sent out of it's default route (the WAN interface). Because 192.168.2.x is a private address range the ISP's equipment will drop it.

2. With a static route on "Your Router" as described in the OP any traffic from 192.168.1.x destined for 192.168.2.x will be sent to 192.168.1.128, which is the gateway for the 192.168.2.x network. This is good, this is what routers are meant to do. However... most "home" routers don't just do routing, they also do NAT and have a firewall. With the firewall turned on any unsolicited incoming traffic will be dropped. NAT also provides some degree of anonymity to devices on the 192.168.2.x network.

The network setup described in the OP has both routers as part of an overarching LAN. As such it is assumed that the entire LAN (both 12.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x) is a trusted (or at least controlled) network.

Last edited:
So in my scenario what would be required? Disabling of the built in firewalls and adding a route?

So in my scenario what would be required?
You mean to access devices on 192.168.2.x from 192.168.1.x?
Disabling of the built in firewalls and adding a route?
Yes, disable the firewall on 192.168.2.1 (and probably NAT as well) and add the route to 192.168.1.1.

Last edited:
Well any router I have had won't let me disable NAT but I can disable the firewall. Thanks.

I just wanted to say thank you very much for providing a graphical representation of what you were talking about. I am a visual learner, so the combination of the graphic and the text helped me understand this in a way I couldn't before.

I appreciate your time.

AYJAY

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!