What's new

How would one upgrade an ASUS RT-AC5300 from firmware version 380.70 to version 384.19?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TreeMan

Occasional Visitor
Could someone please explain what one would need to do in order to upgrade an ASUS RT-AC5300 from firmware version 380.70 to version 384.19?

Do you have any custom settings you need to preserve? If so make a note of them (or screen shots/camera pictures).

Then just upload the new firmware through the GUI. Then preferably, after the upgrade has finished, log back into the router and do a factory reset (with initialise).

There is no way to do an upgrade and preserve the settings? What I am particularly concerned about is some OpenVPN settings, I am not sure if the GUI exposes all the keys and such. A factory reset would destroy all those settings.

The reason I was asking is that I can export the whole config, but I know they said after 380.70 you could not use the saved config in the new version as it screws it up.

Also, I do not know what you mean by do a factory reset (with initialise) - what do you mean by "(with initialise)", is that something different or in addition to a factory reset?

Thanks for your response.

Also, I do not know what you mean by do a factory reset (with initialise) - what do you mean by "(with initialise)", is that something different or in addition to a factory reset?
The "initialise" option was added in the newer firmwares.
Untitled.png

You could try updating the firmware and not doing the reset, but don't count on it working. The router will to try and migrate the settings, but some things like the VPN use significantly different code now and might need to be redone.

Okay, thanks for the the clarification and advice. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I do appreciate the response.