What's new

HP 1320nw question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hankenstein

New Around Here
Hello! I'm at the last step of migrating the stuff in my house from an existing ADSL2+ service (from ISP demon.co.uk - still running on one phone line) to a new FTTC service (from plusnet.uk running fine on another phoneline).

The new line uses a new RT-N66U running RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.42_0.zip.
The old line uses a Pheenet wln-402 as AP to an ethernet network coming from a very elderly (and I hope irrelevant) ADSL2+ modem.

All wireless clients (themselves borderline obsolete) work fine on either network, EXCEPT my trusty old HP 1320nw printer, which has served me well through several house moves, connecting via what HP called "WPA-PSK", with "Dynamic Encrytion". It's currently solid as a rock via the Pheenet wln-402. Nothing persuades it to connect wirelessly to the new ASUS router (wired's fine). The issue seems to be somewhere in the WPA negotiation. I've spent literally days on this, and could use some help.

I've concentrated on trying to persuade the Merlinized NT66U to tolerate (borderline?) obsolete clients. Hence, under Wireless/General, I'm trying settings such as these:

• Freq: 2.4GHz
  • Mode: Legacy , with b/g protection
  • 20MHz bandwidth
  • Control channel 11, or auto
  • WPA2-Auto-Personal, TKIP+AES
I've tried many other settings. I've ssh'd into the ASUS, and looked for logs of some kind to help diagnose the problem, without joy. The printer just sits there blinking its blue light when trying to connect. It's been reconfigured from scratch umpteen times, as has the ASUS. For marital reasons, it's GOT to be wireless.​

My wife will kill me if things aren't working when she comes back from a trip tomorrow. Please help!

Time to say good bye to your 2004 printer?

For you and your wife's sake, of course.

A workaround

In the end I used a couple of elderly ethernet-over-power-plug gadgets to connect it by ethernet in the distant place the thing has to live.

HP specs say the wireless in 802.11b/g. Funnily enough the elderly (2006) Snow Leopard Mac I use in all kinds of insane networking environments reports its wireless as 802.11a/b/g. And the wireless settings on Pheenet router to which the printer connects without difficulty seems quite "aggressive". For example b/g protection (which I think is "CTS protect") is off, and it uses 20/40 MHz channel width.

I've a plan to upgrade all the prehistoric equipment I have in my house. I guess starting with the router was a bad idea. In theory I could use the Pheenet instead of the ASUS RT-N66U. (Subjectively, its wireless seems no worse than the ASUS's.)