What's new

HP Network Card Not Working ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Peter J Clark

New Around Here
I have a HP Z400 computer and have installed a NC550SFP dual card along with J4858B HP Procurve GBIC Module. this is then connected to a HP ProCurve 1400-24G 24 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch - J9078A via 1m OM3 Fibre Optic Cable LC to LC Duplex Network Lead MM 50 125 Patch LSZH Cable.

For some reason the it doesn't seem to connect to the network, if its just connected via the traditional Cat5e Ethernet its fine but doesn't work via the fibre connection.

I was hoping to then get another card to connect another computer up in a similar way hoping that I could eventually connect directly both computers gaining the full 10gb (or as close as possible).

Could someone help to guide me if you need specs or further info I will gladly supply as I would just like to get to the next stage.

if you're on linux, check the feedback from ethtool for the NIC interfaces...

I'm going to be trying something similar soon, so I'm glad you posted.

First, are you getting some indication of link from both ends? Is the HP managed or unmanaged? If it's managed, see if you have to configure something.

The switch is not managed and i have pulled the power cord as per instructions to reset the switch. When i put the GBIC module in the port indicator lights up briefly then goes out but you can see that it appears operational as you can see light in the module itself.

I have included as you can see hopefully screen shots that i have taken from the system to give some indication of my frustration. The system is currently connected via the traditional Ethernet but I have unplugged that also and makes no difference.

HP Properties 1.jpg
HP Properties 2.jpg
HP Status.jpg
LAN Listing.jpg

That's super strange. It seems like it has a link, just no network connectivity (otherwise how would it report 1gb?). Have you checked to make sure the protocols are bound to the adapter? They should have been auto added, but this is definitely weird so you never know.

That's super strange. It seems like it has a link, just no network connectivity (otherwise how would it report 1gb?). Have you checked to make sure the protocols are bound to the adapter? They should have been auto added, but this is definitely weird so you never know.

how would i be able to confirm your suggestion as to be honest im not a network man

It really depends on your version of windows, but under the properties button you should be able to find it. It will show all the protocols and clients bound to that particular network adapter. The other issue could be that the link is not properly reported and you actually don't have a physical link.

It really depends on your version of windows, but under the properties button you should be able to find it. It will show all the protocols and clients bound to that particular network adapter. The other issue could be that the link is not properly reported and you actually don't have a physical link.

I've had a look and i can see the protocols listed and so i presume all are correct. Are there any that i would specifically need or could download to try?

proto 1.jpg
proto 2.jpg

Looks like it is working to me. What do you have it plugged into? Is there a DHCP server?

If you are plugging into a server port there is probably no DHCP server. You will need to hard code IP addresses. How are you going to handle the routing?

You will not be able to have both 1 gig and 10 gig into the same switch. The switch will shutdown one port to keep from having a loop.

Last edited:
I wonder if the card is configured for infiniband vs. ethernet - which might make sense....

Mellonox, if I recall, is the OEM of the card - if I recall correctly, there is a utility to flip that mode over...

I have allocated the IP address to the card and DHCP is handled by the BT SmartHub which has had no problem before with all the other devices. I do switch off the internal Ethernet but it states the same unidentified network message. I was hoping that obtaining a HP branded card would have been straight forward but nothing goes to plan i guess just finding so frustrating.

I wonder if the card is configured for infiniband vs. ethernet - which might make sense....

Mellonox, if I recall, is the OEM of the card - if I recall correctly, there is a utility to flip that mode over...

Thats something ive not come across how would i change "flip" it over?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!