What's new

HTPC+NAS+Web Surfing, etc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swonerd

New Around Here
Hello,

I am relatively new to the HTPC/NAS realm but am an IT-type guy. Here is what i am wanting to do:

1) Build new, dedicated work/gaming computer (not a topic for discussion here)
2) Create a DIY NAS/HTPC computer to be connected to the network to operate as a cloud storage, stream videos from all network connected devices, etc...

Recently I have thoroughly enjoyed having a PC connected to my main TV to be able to surf the web, play Youtube/music, and show pictures, etc. I have an old, clunky Dell that I could connect to my TV and would suffice for the web surfing, etc side of the house, but I am wondering if I could wrap it all into one with a DIY HTPC/NAS...If I connected the DIY NAS/HTPC to my TV, could it run Amahi, and also allow me to pull up Firefox, play YouTube videos, while also acting as my cloud storage, etc? I would be installing Amahi on a SSD, with 2x2TB HHDs RAID as the cloud storage, etc. Just wondering if I can do away with the Dell and have the Amahi machine operate not only as a NAS, but connected to the TV to play music via my stereo, watch youtube videos, etc. No gaming or anything like that.

Any help/advice you could offer would be appreciated. Thank you!

How is your PC connected to your TV? Is it a smart TV via Ethernet to laptop, or HDMI to the laptop, and the TV is just a monitor?
I own a smart TV in my home, and decided after the first day, it ain't going to cut it, to much spying, the I didn't care for the whole "app thing", so I attached a raspi to the back of each TV, and they get the media from a NAS "headless" device. If I want to make changes its all done either through a web gui such as 192.X.X.X:XXXX or SSH.

What is your budget?
Here is what I recommend (only if you like to tinker, and have lots and lots of time for initial setup!):
A)raspi like device on steroids with AES support on the cpu. $50
Why- Extremely low power consumption, cheap, most can run linux, you may want that encryption support in the future whether it would be securing NAS, or running openvpn on it. I have a BananaPi Pro that lacks the support, I am sure there are faster ones on the market by now. A vanilla raspberry pi will not cut it at all.
B)Orico A3H10 (USB powered HUB) Now you can plug in 10 portable Hard Drives! $50
C) raspi on each of TV's in your house. Install OpenElec on them. Use mysql database (it will drastically improve performance and keep all your media in sync)

Set up webadmin on your new server so you have a gui to change settings like samba, formating disk's, transmission, and what ever else you want running 24/7, etc.
Set up syncthing for your own personal cloud storage, Setup openvpn server so you can log in from outside your lan and access your files.

The only thing that would be missing on your requirement is web surfing and Amahi, plus I am not sure how RAID on USB works, I think it can be done. So maybe if you like my suggestion, but need the web stuff, youtube, change out the raspi's behind the tv's to a different device like roku or chomecast. I think my recommendation meets #2 of your post though. When you say steam video's do you mean the NAS does the heavylifting or the smart tv (or device attached to smart tv), I guess I am referring to DLNA or Airplay which I would stay away from. (your dlna may transcode media on your disk to a supported format then stream it out...)

Opinion: NAS should be a super reliable file server at a minimum.
Media serving is a big compute load (transcoding) best done otherwise.

My HTPC is a small form factor comptuer running Windows due to things like webcams around the country that require ActiveX for streaming. Not my webcams. The HTPC has an infrared receiver connect via serial. I have some shareware that converts received IR signals from the TV's remote, to keyboard commands to control the web browser. I have a choose-a-website menu display as HTML, written in javascript. This permits a TV remote to chose from a long list in the menu of frequent web sites like Webcams in the national parks, weather graphics, traffic graphics, etc. All done with the TV remote - no mouse, no keyboard. Good WAF.

I caution going with a NAS as a HTPC as well as doing other duty...

Separate the functions, and put the right boxes/applications in the right place - an "all-in-one" solution is a compromise, where it rarely meets all of the requirements - focus on the task specific roles of the elements within your network.

Don't need a NAS with multiple drives/fans/heat inside an entertainment system, when a small set-top box will do the job...