What's new

Huawei Phones Can't Connect to Asus Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Parallax Abstraction

Occasional Visitor
Hey all.

I have a client with an Asus router (can't remember off the top of my hand right now but it's either an RT-AC3200 or one close to that) that's having an odd issue. Two of their staff have Huawei phones (they bought them before talking to me or they wouldn't have them) and they've constantly been having issues joining the office wi-fi. When they first got them, the phones would see the wi-fi but refused to join it. After a firmware update to the router (it does use Asuswrt-Merlin, though I don't think that's releant here), they started working fine and did so for quite a while.

Yesterday, they wrote to me and said the Huawei phones just can't see the wi-fi at all. They both lost it at the same time and rebooting the router hasn't fixed it. I don't know if their phones took a software update but I'm guessing so since things just changed so suddenly. No other phones or wireless devices have issues, only these two Huawei phones.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be and if there's a setting or something else I can adjust for this? Thanks!

Have a look at the used channels, maybe they dont support all of them and when router is on auto it may change wifi-channel and they are dead.
Try with fix channels on 2.4 and 5GHz and test which are ok for them.

Good suggestion. I'll give that a try. I saw another post that mentioned disabling TX Bursting as well so I'll try that and report back.

Thanks!

My guess would be this is a channel-related issue - I'm using a Huawei P30 myself without any problem. Test with channel 1 and 36, which are compatible with pretty much any wifi equipment to see if it makes a difference.

So, I think the router might just be dying/dead. I kept trying to access the wireless settings in the firmware and the page wouldn't properly render, even though the main landing page did. I then tried to soft reboot the router through the firmware and it won't come back up. Client tried replugging it, still no dice. I'm grabbing a new one on my way to their site tonight and we'll see what happens. Might just need a recovery flash too.

Recovery flash should only be needed if someone attempted (and failed) to flash a new firmware.

It's more likely to be a hardware issue IMHO.

So I'm pretty sure now that my client was rebooting their modem and not their router because they said they tried rebooting it again and suddenly, the firmware is fully accessible and fast again. However, I've run into another issue. So, SmartConnect was enabled and I thought that might be the issue so I turned it off and split the wi-fi networks. I am able to set a control channel for the 5Ghz network but the 2.4Ghz, everything is set to Auto and there are no other options I can select. It also shows Current Control Channel as 0.

EDIT: Just looked around this forum and apparently, this is indicative of a hardware failure in the wireless radio. So, looks like I'm swapping in a new one after all.

So I'm pretty sure now that my client was rebooting their modem and not their router because they said they tried rebooting it again and suddenly, the firmware is fully accessible and fast again. However, I've run into another issue. So, SmartConnect was enabled and I thought that might be the issue so I turned it off and split the wi-fi networks. I am able to set a control channel for the 5Ghz network but the 2.4Ghz, everything is set to Auto and there are no other options I can select. It also shows Current Control Channel as 0.

EDIT: Just looked around this forum and apparently, this is indicative of a hardware failure in the wireless radio. So, looks like I'm swapping in a new one after all.

Yeah, channel 0 seems to mean hardware failure which would explain things.

OE

Try a complete electrical reset, that sometimes fixes it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!