What's new

[Mostly Solved] Huge bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshuajackson

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of forum, but I got an issue and I hope someone can help me solve it.

Whenever someone downloads or uploads something the internet does not work cant even load google site, and in games the ping spikes to 999 max basically. So I did some research and I tried using DSLreports that others suggested and I suppose it's bufferbloat since on download it spikes to 500ms and sometimes stable 10ms but on upload it's spiking like crazy 2000ms to 6000ms non-stop. They also suggested using QOS such as limiting the bandwidth but did not solve it or even make any difference whatsoever, also tried using JRQOS for Asus Merlin but that just made it worse. I have a modem actiontec gt784wnv provided by our ISP, then I got the Asus AC-68U the modem is bridged so everything is controlled by 68U. It has come to the point where I bought a new modem and I hope that fixes the issue but I highly doubt it. What are your guyses thoughts how can I solve this issue?

If QOS did not help then it's probably the modem, and I can only assume this is Verizon since you didn't say, and this modem comes up on Google as Verizon. You also didn't mention the name of the new modem you purchased.

So, one thing at a time:
first, restore your AC68U to factory defaults, don't change anything.
2. reset the Actiontec with the hardware reset button. let it download its' own firmware again and settle down.
3. recheck for ping spikes.
4. Unplug and compare ping results with the new modem.
5. It's possible it could be a home wiring issue or outside line, so don't necessarily rule this out. Also, DSLReports speed test gets high traffic during the day - you may get different/better results late night. They also have problems with the speed test code from time to time, and I'm sure they are busy with other things, so don't always take the results as gospel, it's more like an indicator.

If QOS did not help then it's probably the modem, and I can only assume this is Verizon since you didn't say, and this modem comes up on Google as Verizon. You also didn't mention the name of the new modem you purchased.

So, one thing at a time:
first, restore your AC68U to factory defaults, don't change anything.
2. reset the Actiontec with the hardware reset button. let it download its' own firmware again and settle down.
3. recheck for ping spikes.
4. Unplug and compare ping results with the new modem.
5. It's possible it could be a home wiring issue or outside line, so don't necessarily rule this out. Also, DSLReports speed test gets high traffic during the day - you may get different/better results late night. They also have problems with the speed test code from time to time, and I'm sure they are busy with other things, so don't always take the results as gospel, it's more like an indicator.
also, please tell me you were NOT gaming on wireless. :rolleyes: :) I would just feel better about the whole situation.

If tried resetting it before and like you did mention also no this isn't Verizon its MTS or also now known as Bell MTS and the new modem I purchased which hasn't arrived yet is the DSL-51 from asus sorry for not mentioning it. To answer the second question if I'm playing on wireless is no I do not everything is on ethernet

I run a RT-AC66U_B1 which is pretty much the same as your AC68U. When I was on DSL with a bridged modem I ran Merlin firmware (the same version you will use on the AC68U), Adaptive QOS set to manual, sfq and the Upload-Download Bandwidth set to 90% of rated speed of the DSL connection. Your call to customize it further but the presets worked well for me. I tested codel and fq_codel but saw no improvement for my application. You also may want to replace the cable between the modem and router with a new one, CAT5 at least. This last bit seems like a stretch but give it a try anyway. Also make sure the modem is fully bridged and that your AC68U is getting an IP address from the ISP. A full factory reset may not be needed but...

I run a RT-AC66U_B1 which is pretty much the same as your AC68U. When I was on DSL with a bridged modem I ran Merlin firmware (the same version you will use on the AC68U), Adaptive QOS set to manual, sfq and the Upload-Download Bandwidth set to 90% of rated speed of the DSL connection. Your call to customize it further but the presets worked well for me. I tested codel and fq_codel but saw no improvement for my application. You also may want to replace the cable between the modem and router with a new one, CAT5 at least. This last bit seems like a stretch but give it a try anyway. Also make sure the modem is fully bridged and that your AC68U is getting an IP address from the ISP. A full factory reset may not be needed but...
I've tried those steps already in fact I tried putting it in 50% and same issue, all my cables are cat5e and my modem is fully bridged and I am getting my ip from ISP on my router.

A 2 to 6 second upload spike, non-stop, seems like you should maybe rule out a line problem within your house or to the pole/pedestal. It's the non-stop part that's weird. Do you have any way to check a status page on the modem, or anything ? On cable modems you can check signal quality, but for DSL I am not really sure. Can your ISP do anything for you ?

By the way, what are you pinging to test ? Sometimes ISP network equipment is rate limited or blocks ICMP response so you may not get anything back .

I've tried those steps already in fact I tried putting it in 50% and same issue, all my cables are cat5e and my modem is fully bridged and I am getting my ip from ISP on my router.
But, did you replace the cable? CAT5e is great but you can have a bad cable or one the router does not like!

But, did you replace the cable? CAT5e is great but you can have a bad cable or one the router does not like!
Hmm that kinda seems odd, but I did use the black ethernet cable that came along with the ac68u unit cable seems fine to me, but even if I use a different cable and hook it onto the modem I got the same issue so I think it's no the cables, I do know that the dsl line from modem is connected to a splitter and the there is a another cable directing outside

A 2 to 6 second upload spike, non-stop, seems like you should maybe rule out a line problem within your house or to the pole/pedestal. It's the non-stop part that's weird. Do you have any way to check a status page on the modem, or anything ? On cable modems you can check signal quality, but for DSL I am not really sure. Can your ISP do anything for you ?

By the way, what are you pinging to test ? Sometimes ISP network equipment is rate limited or blocks ICMP response so you may not get anything back .
Sorry I missed this, I've already contacted my ISP and their answer is "Just limit the bandwidth" that's what I've been trying to do for the past year and still has not resolved my issue.
What is your ISP speed up/down?
Its 6.67/0.5 now you're going to say its because it's slow and no room but trust me it is not because apparently some people have the same upload and less speed for download and they have better bufferbloat and they achieve A-B on DSLreports, I always get and F

This is going to sound ridiculous but make sure your manual upload (top) and download (bottom) setting are in the correct order. What happens if you leave the Bandwith setting on auto and run a report test?You can also try fast.com and click on more info

Your settings should be :
QoS Type: Adaptive QoS
Bandwidth setting: Manual Setting
Queue Discipline: fq_codel
WAN packet overhead : 0 (don't change anything)
Upload Bandwith: 0.5
Download Bandwidth: 6.67

Apply then reboot

I stay in a 3rd world country and for a very long time I had a 10/1 ADSL package with a DSL n66u bridge mode and an ac88u router as my setup

This is going to sound ridiculous but make sure your manual upload (top) and download (bottom) setting are in the correct order. What happens if you leave the Bandwith setting on auto and run a report test?You can also try fast.com and click on more info

Your settings should be :
QoS Type: Adaptive QoS
Bandwidth setting: Manual Setting
Queue Discipline: fq_codel
WAN packet overhead : 0 (don't change anything)
Upload Bandwith: 0.5
Download Bandwidth: 6.67

Apply then reboot

I stay in a 3rd world country and for a very long time I had a 10/1 ADSL package with a DSL n66u bridge mode and an ac88u router as my setup
I did the exact steps as you stated and I also tried setting up bandwidth limit for each user but same issue. Was your bufferbloat as bad as mine?

I did the exact steps as you stated and I also tried setting up bandwidth limit for each user but same issue. Was your bufferbloat as bad as mine?
Mine was never that bad making me think its either the physical line or one of your cables. The line is slow so you will see ping spikes there's no QoS in the world that allows you to use more bandwidth then what you pay for.

Last edited:
Mine was never that bad making me think its either the physical line or one of your cables. The line is slow so you will see ping spikes there's no QoS in the world that allows you to use more bandwidth then what you pay for.
Well yeah and that wasn't my plan or intention, all I was trying to do is fix the bufferbloat because whenever we upload or download we cant even load sites or even load google.

Sorry I missed this, I've already contacted my ISP and their answer is "Just limit the bandwidth" that's what I've been trying to do for the past year and still has not resolved my issue.

Its 6.67/0.5 now you're going to say its because it's slow and no room but trust me it is not because apparently some people have the same upload and less speed for download and they have better bufferbloat and they achieve A-B on DSLreports, I always get and F

Would you be able to contact your ISP and try higher "sample" speeds say at 25/10 mbps to see if this would make a difference? Tell them about the problem and see if they can give free trial for an upgrade and see if the problems persist, it might be that the cabling needs replacing leading into house.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!