What's new

Hurricane Dorian

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregory Phillips

Very Senior Member
I was checking my accuweather app at lunch and was astonished by the information it provided me on the current status of hurricane Dorian. I was actually flabbergasted by it as I'd just looked at the NHC's latest update. I looked on accuweather's website which mirrors the NHC so I'm not sure what happened there. I'm in Jacksonville so of course I'm closely monitoring the storm.

Attachments

• WIN_20190901_14_07_34_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190901_14_07_34_Pro.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 270
Yes quite the monster storm. Looks like you may have dodged the worst of it if it continues as forcasted.

I was checking my accuweather app at lunch and was astonished by the information it provided me on the current status of hurricane Dorian. I was actually flabbergasted by it as I'd just looked at the NHC's latest update. I looked on accuweather's website which mirrors the NHC so I'm not sure what happened there. I'm in Jacksonville so of course I'm closely monitoring the storm.

Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you gentlemen, may FL be spared from this storm.

I was gob smacked to hear a wether channel talking head to say that anyone that tells you "this" is where the storm will go is lying (!).
I will be surprised to see him on past the storm.

I went thru Hugo back a few years - and it was a CAT4 when it landed in Charleston, South Carolina...

Hugo_sept_21_1989.jpg

It was like a atomic bomb went off - it hit in the middle of the night - and the eye went directly overhead - I was living a bit inland over in Summerville (Dorchester county).

Next day, looking around... it was a wasteland

Stay safe out there in Florida...

I went through Ivan back in 04 and when I woke up the next morning and went outside it was a disaster. A quick spin tornado around 2am ripped the top of the neighbors oak tree off and tossed onto my roof tearing it up plus it downed another oak tree from his yard laying it across my privacy fence. All in all I took 30k in damage from him but nobody was hurt.

Good thing I braced my garage door, it had the cross bracing per code, as it bowed inward during the storm and held firmly against my brace which was anchored in the concrete floor. When July 05 rolled around I didn't stay around for the next one and left town. Being so far inland here wind is really the only concern and it would be like a strong thunderstorm. If I lived directly on the coast I would leave town.
P1000147.JPG P1000158.JPG P1000161.JPG P1000155.JPG

I went thru Hugo back a few years - and it was a CAT4 when it landed in Charleston, South Carolina...
Me too. Our flight out ended up being the last one allowed to leave.....it was pretty rough. Been on some crazy flights and this was certainly in the top 5 bad ones.

Been here, Florida east coast now north central, since '57. Lived thru them all. Don't want to wish tragedy on anyone but when it comes to the storms I'll take a pass!
So far all we've had here is some rain and the projected track is still east of us.
Last devastating storm here, Marion County, was year before last. After an extended drought the storm ripped out many trees. Some of the trash piles were still standing when we were house shopping. One of the first things we did was have a whole house generator and propane tank installed.
Good luck to anyone effected!

God that brings me back to 1975 just after Tracy hit Darwin Australia in late 74 I remember thinking, this is what a nuclear explosion looks like,stay safe

Retract your wifi antenna asap!

NASA(72).jpg
Dorian from the space station

Last edited:
Today is supposed to be our rain day and (drum roll maestro plz) ... Nada. Weather Station on the barn says 0 rain overnight. Dorian supposedly took an easterly turn late yesterday. Well only thing we _need_ to do today is keep alert. We shall see.

The latest guidance predicts she's moving east of Florida and will keep the core offshore. I'm tired of the these storms and will be glad when I can leave this area for good.

As for the accuweather app it's still reporting erroneous data so they definitely need to fix it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!