What's new

Hyperoptic 1gb: Wi-Fi challenges

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CrimsonCleaver

New Around Here
Hi there,

Yesterday I had Hyperoptic install a 1gb connection, I'm in the UK.

I had already bought a Netgear Nighthawk x4S in preparation to try and get as much speed over Wi-Fi.

Currently facing a number of challenges.

Currently have an iMac connected to the router using Ethernet. On the OOKLA Speedtest Mac app (tests in browser were just so unreliable I used the app in the end), I am getting:
Approx 902-910 down
Approx 910-920 up

Which was expected.

Using wi-if on my 2015 MacBook Pro I am getting:
Approx 700-720 down
Approx 530-540 up
Genie app reported link rate:
952Mbps

Which I was pleased with.

iPad Air 2, I seem to be getting:
Approx 410-430 down
Approx 240/250 up
761Mbps

Xbox One S in Edge on OOKLA speedtest, and its own speed test under settings:
165-175 down
761Mbps

Seems pretty slow considering the iPad Air 2 is connected at same rate and getting more than double download speed.

Wi-Fi is all around 15-20 metres from the router, through 2 walls.

These are the problems I am facing:

1) Xbox One S not getting great download speed
The problem I face is this is when using the 5GHz channel 100(DFS), this seems to give me pretty good Wi-Fi speeds on the Apple devices. The Xbox however isn't doing so well.

2) Fire TV and NVIDIA Shield can't connect when on channel 100(DFS)
These devices seem to work better on lower channels, Fire TV on channel 36, but on that channel other devices get slower speeds...

3) Ethernet due to layout of property wasn't really an option for all devices. Especially as Fire TV hasn't got Gigabit Ethernet

Does anyone have any suggestions on hitting good wi-if speeds but ensuring compatibility with devices?

I am also considering buying a second Netgear Nighthawk x4s, and placing in the same room as all my Wi-Fi devices, as an access point. With that, could I assume it can connect at a higher rate to the existing router? And could I connect any gigabit devices to it using Ethernet for speed? (Eg Xbox One)

Hi there,

I had already bought a Netgear Nighthawk x4S in preparation to try and get as much speed over Wi-Fi.

Currently have an iMac connected to the router using Ethernet. On the OOKLA Speedtest Mac app (tests in browser were just so unreliable I used the app in the end), I am getting:
Approx 902-910 down
Approx 910-920 up

Which was expected.

Approx 700-720 down
Approx 530-540 up
952Mbps

Approx 410-430 down
Approx 240/250 up
761Mbps

165-175 down
761Mbps

Seems pretty slow considering the iPad Air 2 is connected at same rate and getting more than double download speed.

The problem I face is this is when using the 5GHz channel 100(DFS), this seems to give me pretty good Wi-Fi speeds on the Apple devices. The Xbox however isn't doing so well.

These devices seem to work better on lower channels, Fire TV on channel 36, but on that channel other devices get slower speeds...

3) Ethernet due to layout of property wasn't really an option for all devices. Especially as Fire TV hasn't got Gigabit Ethernet

Does anyone have any suggestions on hitting good wi-if speeds but ensuring compatibility with devices?

I am also considering buying a second Netgear Nighthawk x4s, and placing in the same room as all my Wi-Fi devices, as an access point. With that, could I assume it can connect at a higher rate to the existing router? And could I connect any gigabit devices to it using Ethernet for speed? (Eg Xbox One)

5GHz will see the fastest reduction from walls in between. 2.4 Ghz will generally do better penetrating.

If you remove walls and such by placing your AP in the the same room, your data rate should go up unless there is a limitation in the device connecting or other wireless channel conflicts (neighbors, etc). The best data rates will generally be on wired connections. So if you can get it to the xbox, i would.

Is the xbox on N or AC wireless ? That in itself could be the difference.

Hmm... does the Xbone S even support 11ac?

No 11ac support for Xbox.. You should really use Ethernet for any game consoles. With the lag that one can typically get on the games, sketchy wifi can certainly compound problems. Whenever you can use Ethernet cables on any device, (TV's etc), then use them. Save yourself the grief..

Xbox One S from what I've read adds 802.11ac Wi-Fi over the first version.

Unfortunately Ethernet from the new connection would involve considerable wiring

How about using a second Router as an access point?

Xbox One S from what I've read adds 802.11ac Wi-Fi over the first version.

Unfortunately Ethernet from the new connection would involve considerable wiring

How about using a second Router as an access point?

Do you have any RG6 or RG59 coax near the two locations ? You could use MOCA 2 ethernet bridges and get a more reliable high bandwidth from the router. If the Xbox supports AC, then it should work by adding an AP in the room. It will still compete with other users and be vulnerable to interference.

Unfortunatey only 1 coax so not at both locations.

I read that the X4s router has HT160, wondering if a second could connect at that rate, potentially higher than 1gbs?

Got a second x4s arriving coming tomorrow. Going to try it in Wireless Repeater mode, with some devices connected via Ethernet. Assuming the 2 X4S routers will connect to each other at a high rate, and connected devices will get higher than what I have now, if not will send it back.

So using wireless bridge mode on the second X4s has been amazing.

Getting up to 870 down and 850 up on a Mac mini Ethernet in to the second X4s. Much better than I thought I would get.

According to network map, the second router is connected at a rate of 1692Mbps.

Now have my Mac mini, Xbox One, NVIDIA a Shield and Amazon Fire TV connected via Ethernet to the second X4s.

Shame about the Fire TV not having gigabit ethernet, but can't win with everything.

Hi there,

Approx 902-910 down
Approx 910-920 up

Which was expected.

Approx 700-720 down
Approx 530-540 up
952Mbps

Approx 410-430 down
Approx 240/250 up
761Mbps

165-175 down
761Mbps

Hi there,

If you're looking for some technical help, please email in to support@hyperoptic.com and our team will be able to work with you to find the best option.

- Karis

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!