What's new

I am so confused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWoody

New Around Here
I had an Arris router/modem combo provided by Spectrum for my internet service. Hookup was as simple as coaxial from outside to Arris and Arris to computer and ethernet to laptop and Android tv box. All working fine. I replaced this with an Asus cm-16 modem and an Asus AC86U router. Hookup is coaxial from outside to modem, modem wan port to router wan port, lan port to computer, working fine. Ethernet from router to laptop and android tv box,(works on wifi just fine), NOT working. Internet light on router is RED. Get an "error code 651". Asus forum says 651 is windows related. Following instructions from a link given on Asus forum, updated all drivers and software related issues. Still not working. Upon hookup, router updated to latest firmware automatically. Since I am not a teckie, I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me out here? THANKS

Log into the RT-AC86U web interface (http://192.168.1.1) and go to Administration > Operation Mode. Check that it is in "Wireless router mode (Default)" mode and not one of the other modes.

Then go to Network Map and look at the "Internet status:" box at the top centre of that page.

Ok I did that. Still not working. I still have a red light on router and ethernet to laptop still NOT working. internet status:connected DDNS: go

You said you're getting "error code 651" on your Windows PC. That's normally a PPPoE error. Do you have your devices' network adapters configured for PPPoE? If so that could be the problem.

ColinTaylor I thank you for your help, but I am no techie and I have no idea what this means, " device network adapters configured for PPPoE", or how to do it. I do not understand what changed from me disconnecting one router and hooking up another one. Did the computer do this automatically cause I did nothing or changed anything. Could this be something my internet provider did?

Sorry, I don't have Spectrum internet so I'll have to leave this for more informed forum members to help you.

I solved the problem with a push of a button twice. On the back of the router there is a button to turn the leds on/off on the front. Just for the hellofit I pushed it to turn them off and then pushed it to turn them on and viola, the little internet light on the front is blinking away in white and my laptop is connected. NO idea why.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!