What's new

I bought a thing - Slingbox M2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Just breaking it out and setting it up - slinging DirecTV... the irony.. (Sling is owned by EchoStar, which is Dish TV)...

More in a bit...

Took a while, as I have other infrastructure changes/upgrades in flight...

Seems to work ok, the big deal with the SlingBox M1 (and subsequent M2) is the WiFi connectivity - and that generally works. Note that WiFi is a single stream radio - ethernet is also available, 100Base-T, and is recommended.

First run wasn't too good, but second attempt with Component connections between the DirecTV C41W box and the TV worked much better... still a bit of latency across clients, and the C41W is basically a remote screen for the HR44 Genie box, so the lag adds up - just be patient.

On Mac/Windows - it's a browser plugin (boo!), and as such, not a terribly good thing.

iOS - iPad/iPhone - uses a new App, so if legacy, remove the old one first (I had SlingBox Pro, see other post), but after some sorting, it works...

Would I recommend it - maybe, maybe not - I'd give it 3 stars out of 5 due to setup and config issues...

Where it can be a benefit though - we see on the forums many times where folks are just out of reach of Broadband, so running internet connectivity is one thing - either trenching a ethernet cable, or running a wireless bridge - that gives broadband - putting a Slingbox on the remote end, and using Desktop/Roku/Android/iOS apps can bring TV into that remote location.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!