What's new

I can't figure out Cisco licensing for AnyConnect Client!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miner

Regular Contributor
I decided to get a one-user license for the Cisco AnyConnect client, saw it for $4 at CDW.com and bought it.

To download the install files from cisco.com seems to require some kind of 'corporate account' (my own words). I haven't gotten the license key from CDW yet, but I was assuming I could download the AnyConnect client and run in a 30-day trial arrangement.

Am I missing something?

You need the entitlement added to your ID to access things. Since you're the EU not likely to happen. CDW will provide the info needed.

Update. The order from CDW doesn't exist anymore, and the credit card shows no record of the $4 purchase.

Looking at a different website, insight.com, I see a message "This product has sell requirements" and then this message:

1655648645491.png

All I want to do is get one IPSec VPN client to work with a Cisco RV-340 on my home network. And maybe one for an android phone. I don't have anything to enter for "License," "Deal Reg ID" or "PCN No."

Which gets me back to I can't figure out licensing for the AnyConnect client. Why and how does Cisco put an IPSec VPN server in their SOHO business routers but throw up roadblocks to getting their very own VPN client licenses?

I think Tech Junky is right. You need to be registered with Cisco to use a license which will be added to your account. Not all software is allowed to be run outside the US.

There seems to be other VPN options including IPSec in the RV340 router other than AnyConnect. Have you tried them? I don't use any VPN as I live in the US.

I have no need for it. I ran Cisco VPN in the old days back when I worked. I am retired and I don't feel a need for it. Using it slows you down with small routers as it has a lot of overhead to use it.

I remember using ISDN spun off a PRI to telnet all across the state of Texas for managing my network.

Last edited:
I think Tech Junky is right. You need to be registered with Cisco to use a license which will be added to your account. Not all software is allowed to be run outside the US.

There seems to be other VPN options including IPSec in the RV340 router other than AnyConnect. Have you tried them? I don't use any VPN as I live in the US.
I want to get an IPsec client running.

I live in the US, and yes I've looked at other clients:
The Green Bow costs €75.
The OpenVPN client is not compatible.
ShrewSoft client hasn't been updated since 2013, that rules it out.

The AnyConnect client at $4 seems like a nice choice. And I want to get some experience using it.

If there any other IPsec clients people use I'd like to hear.

All I want to do is get one IPSec VPN client to work with a Cisco RV-340 on my home network.

I wouldn't buy any licenses for this router.

I wouldn't buy any licenses for this router.

Thanks, I'm well aware of the EOL on this. But until a clear replacement is available I need to get a way to remotely VPN into it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!