What's new

I currently own an ASUS AC68 with Merlin firmware, is AC88 the right choice if I want to max out VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rockstead

Occasional Visitor
I live my AC68 with Merlin firmware, it’s rock solid but the VPN speeds are capped at like 25Mbit, is the AC88 the right choice if I want to max out my VPN speed, does Merlin support it? And what’s the realistic max speed for VPN it can do?

Are there better options?

Thanks

I think the new ac86 has the highest cpu horsepower atm which is the vpn bottleneck

Oh thank you, so AC86 is my best bet then I guess for high speed VPN, does Merlin fully support it and is the Merlin build as stable as the AC68?

Last edited:
well its the latest model.. may be a few quirks in the fw still but if vpn is your thing it will be the best choice. if I recall its pretty stable with merlins but may still be some qos statistics issues from what ive read. or could be user error I honestly haven't looked into it.

so AC86 is my best bet then I guess for high speed VPN, does Merlin fully support it and is the Merlin build as stable as the AC68?

1ORcgLZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/1ORcgLZ.png

FWIW: RT-AC86U gateway OpenVPN Server router is able to achieve the above throughput for remote OpenVPN clients running under Merlin's latest RT-AC86U_384.6_alpha2-g5b076fc87 test build over the XMission Utopia active ethernet 1Gbps up/down fiber network configured for a TAP/UDP via port 1194 to remote OpenVPN client router(s)...

Last edited: