1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

I Found Cheap 500Mbps Moca!

Discussion in 'MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA' started by Samir, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Samir

Samir Very Senior Member

So I've finally forayed into getting some moca devices and they are as plug and play as powerline, but with superior speeds. And they can be dirt cheap by comparison if you're looking one step below bonded 2.0.

Here's what I've found that's a bargain:
    $10 new - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKTMWDE/?tag=snbforums-20

I haven't used these personally as of yet, but they are the cheapest units that will transfer at 500Mbps real-time (I found iperf tests online), have a dual band AP built-in, and has 2 ethernet ports, which I believe are gigabit. A set of these is only $20, which blows any powerline solution (and almost any other solution) out of the water since it's 500Mbps.

$45 used with 60-day warranty - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Frontier-G...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These are the exact units I purchased and they got a 600Mbps link and I was able to get right under 500Mbps iperf results. They also have a dual band AP built-in as well as a 4-port gigabit switch. These are also routers, so you have to disable that stuff if you just want them to be adapters and APs, but it's not too bad to do so.

There are a few other companies and adapters out there like the deca ones that may be just as cheap, but they're usually only limited to Moca 1.0/1.1 speeds. By far, the two above are the most bang for the buck I've seen. You literally can outfit every room of your house with wifi and an Ethernet port for $10/room. :eek:

Hope this helps someone out there! :cool:

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

The $10 WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 which supports theoretical speeds of up to 175 Mbps.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/difference-moca-1-0-1-1-2-0-bonded-2-0/

krkaufman likes this.
  4. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

but will it route :p ?

5. Samir

Samir Very Senior Member

6. krkaufman

krkaufman Regular Contributor

As @Internet Man said, the WCB3000N is MoCA 1.1 w/ GigE ports so will be limited to around 170 Mbps throughput; the G1100 Quantum Gateway is standard MoCA 2.0 w/ GigE ports, so should be capable of around 400 Mbps ... so 500 Mbps effective throughput from a G1100 is noteworthy; 500 Mbps effective throughput from a WCB3000N would be shocking.

p.s. At $45 per device, a new Motorola MM1000 (bonded/extended MoCA 2.0) would be worth considering; or a "FiOS Network Adapter" (rebranded Actiontec ECB5240M) if you have a friend w/ FiOS.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  7. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

I've been watching for a price drop on the MM1000 from its usual $60 but it seems to keep selling out even at $60. Did it go on sale for $45 somewhere?

8. Samir

Samir Very Senior Member

That was originally what I thought based on product documentation, but on the dslreports forums many iperfed at nearly 500Mbps--maybe the product was revised later without a revision in documentation. But whatever the case, this was just example I found of >1.x speeds.

The link reported by my g1100s is 600Mbps. Iperf is just under 500Mbps (I think it was like 497 in my testing).

9. krkaufman

krkaufman Regular Contributor

My statement was a bit confusing. The "at $45 per device" was a reference to the cost for the standard MoCA 2.0 G1100, per the link you'd provided. $15 more may seem worthwhile to bump-up to bonded MoCA 2.0, plus a RF pass-through port, found in the $60 MM1000.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!