What's new

I found stuff on my Windows 10 PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I just cleaned my laptop and found pup legacy and another one on it. I even have uBlock Origin on my Windows 10 PC with the latest updates. I don't know how it got on my PC. My PC is a lot better since I installed uBlock Origin. So now I am going to try only Microsoft store is allowed to install on my PC. I will see if it better after adding this last change.

Anybody doing this?

If I 'find stuff' that I didn't install, I format the drive and do it again. :)

I haven't seen any system working properly after it was 'cleaned' either. At least not for any appreciable length of time.

I don't rely on extensions to keep me safe. Windows Security is the best I've used. I click s l o w l y and with great hesitation on dubious links. Or better yet, not at all. I'm not nearly as curious as I once was to know how to be a millionaire in the next 30 seconds. :)

Windows 10 has a new update coming Win-10 2004. Release should be 4-12. Download the ISO image on to a usb drive and wipe windows clean format the drive and start fresh.

@Kal-EL I am looking forward to doing that on my PC's. The dates though should be 5-14 or 5/21, if I'm not mistaken and the deadline isn't missed (again). :)

Yes the new Windows 10 is going to be a big change so I might try a new install. I can burn a USB stick in about 30 minutes as long as I use USB3.

What I found is Adware not a virus. I am pretty careful on what I click. I have been doing this for many years.

Adware is a virus to me. :)

Check out a great utility called Rufus. 30 minutes is much too long to make a windows installer. :)

https://rufus.ie/

You don't need to create a boot USB drive Microsoft makes it bootable for you when it installs. It is pretty fast from Microsoft. The verify takes the longest. Maybe I am off. No way would I use anybody but Microsoft for Windows 10.

@coxhaus download the Windows 10 installers (select both the 32-bit and 64-bit options so you don't need a separate installer for each) as an ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable drive.

Rufus doesn't create the MS installer. It creates the USB bootable drive faster. :)

Na, I will only use Microsoft for Microsoft products. With Microsoft you don't need to create a boot USB stick as it is done in one operation when Microsoft downloads Windows 10. I don't use 32 bit any more. I only now use 64 bit now. The last 20 something PCs I installed I only used 64 bit.

Just like a discrete stereo system can be configured from the best of different brands, I like to discover and use the tools that work most efficiently. MS' 'done in one' is too slow and doesn't give you another chance as you have with an ISO file, is all I'm saying. :)

You know you only build 1 Windows 10 USB stick per version of Windows 10 not per PC. I guess you know you can keep installing PCs off the same USB Windows 10 stick. I only build new Windows 10 USB sticks when a new Windows 10 version comes out and I don't want to apply all the updates. We are talking once to twice a year.

Yes, that is true @coxhaus if all your equipment is similar. But if you have (or don't know if) the computer is legacy BIOS or UEFI, two are necessary then. :)

Or other variables like MBR vs. GPT formatting options of the bootable installer. :)

Not true if you download Microsoft's Windows 10 installer USB stick. Once you build a USB stick with Windows 10 you have all Microsoft installers. You can install 32 or 64 bit any of the Windows 10 builds like Home, Home N, Windows PRO, whatever. Whether you use BIOS or Legacy is determined by the BIOS on the motherboard and the same Microsoft USB stick installs based on how you setup the motherboard. My 1 Microsoft USB stick can do it all in terms of Windows 10 installs. MBR or GPT no problem from my 1 Microsoft USB stick.

I kind of wonder where you get your Microsoft Windows 10 installs if it takes different versions. Are you sure your Microsoft Windows 10 builds are safe?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Last edited:
@coxhaus that is interesting. I haven't used the 'create USB installer' option from that Windows 10 download link you provided (and is the same one I use) for years. Maybe I should? :)

I can't see how it can create both types at once (legacy BIOS and UEFI with Secure Boot functionality), but if it does then the time savings from using Rufus are greatly minimized.

I'll let you know if this works as you state here in the next few weeks. :)

The location of the PUP files is important. Sometimes they are just leftover in a Temp folder or a browser cache - that does not mean that it ever got installed on the computer.

Eset Antivirus offers a specific setting to block "potentially undesirable software". This will cover PUP, which are often ignored by default by antivirus solutions.

Malwarebytes is the other big name out there that can deal with this specific type of critters.

It turns out the Adware must of been running. My laptop is running cooler and my I7 is almost 0% cpu vs 4% or 5% cycles even with a lot of windows open. My laptop is better now since running AdwCleaner.

I may have discovered my problem. On this last Cisco RV340 router firmware update you had to install from scratch after a factory reset well I figured out I missed typed my ACL on blocking DNS. This opened up a DNS hole where I may have gotten my Adware. I figured this out because I did a tracert today to another DNS IP and it worked.

I have been working for a while using QUAD9 and I have not had any problems on my laptop.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!