1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

I have a couple of questions for you pro's.

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by pinkfloyd1173, Mar 21, 2019.

1. pinkfloyd1173

pinkfloyd1173 Senior Member

So I just picked this new RT-AX88U yesterday, I just set it up today, so far no issues other then the questions I will ask.

1. I tried to do a clean in stall of Mr.Merlin's FW, did the wps button thing but it did not do what it normally does when I had my ac3100? I think it worked but the power light did not blink repeatedly like it always does? Is this normal on this new router.

2. Under WAN, Nat Type Symmetric or Fullcone??? What is this never seen this before. What is best.

I am just using this router for normal use not for all the techy stuff you guys use it for.

Other than that, it seems just like the rt-3100.

Thanks in advance guys.

By the way, the reason I upgraded was because I have a very good friend who works at Bestbuy and I got it for $250.00 with insurance. Could not pass it up for that price.

L&LD likes this.
  2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

3. pinkfloyd1173

By the way I did that?

Dude, I returned my rt-3100 since I always buy insurance on my stuff at bestbuy. I told them that the rt3100 bricked and wanted just a gift card for the full amount of the router, they did it with no issues at all. Got the gift card and got the new router. So pretty much paid nothing for a new router that I bought almost 2 years ago and still got some money left on the gift card!! Gotta love Bestbuy and always buy the insurance in my opinion. I have like 6 different accounts with different emails and numbers so I always can return stuff and not get banned for returning to many things on 1 account, lol.

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Stick to Symmetric, it's the safest. Fullcone is mostly desirable for console gamers.

amplatfus and L&LD like this.
  5. pinkfloyd1173

Thanks for the response sir. I play both on console and pc, so maybe will switch out when I play on my pc or console.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

If you don't have any issue playing online games, then leave it to the default value of Symmetric.

7. pinkfloyd1173

Thank you good sir.