What's new

I have a RT-AC88U how may routers can I connect in repeater mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulSB

Occasional Visitor
Hi I have a RT-AC88U and have set up my old RT-N66U to run in repeater mode, I would like to add another router running in repeater mode to give better wifi coverage in the house can I connect another router in repeater mode?
Thanks
Paul

When your repeater is actively in use, your throughput drops by a factor of 2 (half).

When you add another repeater, and both repeaters are in use, your throughput will drop by another factor of 2 (one quarter). Add another with similar use? You'll be getting an eighth of the potential throughput of your Wi-Fi environment. And be much more susceptible to interference and therefore stability and reliability issues too.

You may get better coverage, but unless your repeaters are used non-simultaneously, your network performance will go down.

When your repeater is actively in use, your throughput drops by a factor of 2 (half).

When you add another repeater, and both repeaters are in use, your throughput will drop by another factor of 2 (one quarter). Add another with similar use? You'll be getting an eighth of the potential throughput of your Wi-Fi environment. And be much more susceptible to interference and therefore stability and reliability issues too.

You may get better coverage, but unless your repeaters are used non-simultaneously, your network performance will go down.

Thanks for that Info thats just what I needed.

I think in my situation it may be OK as it is unlikely that they will be used heavily at the same time as the majority of the high useage devices in the house are wired.

I will keep an eye out on Ebay for a cheap router and give it a go.

Thanks
Paul

Thanks for that Info thats just what I needed.

I think in my situation it may be OK as it is unlikely that they will be used heavily at the same time as the majority of the high useage devices in the house are wired.

I will keep an eye out on Ebay for a cheap router and give it a go.

Thanks
Paul
Get an AC66U_B1. Makes a great mesh node.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!