What's new

I have overkill of ASUS routers but would like advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blueryno23

New Around Here
I have 2 ISP connections into the house. both ISP 150 down (turtle turtle slow)
I have 4 ASUS AIMESH compatible routers.

ROG Rapture GT-AX11000

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300

RT-AC5300

RT-AX89X (New) have not utilized

If anybody has the time what would be the best order to use the devices?
1 ISP connection handle the boring devices cameras, older games systems, web connected home automation type stuff.
2 ISP tend go with gaming pc, consoles and streaming devices.

Not looking for individual settings more so...Both AX devices together or staggered 1 ax & 1 ac per ISP?
Details smallish house. Both ISP close together.
Current setup
1st ISP AX1000 alone
2nd ISP has GT-AC5300 and node RT-AC5300

If this in wrong spot can mod move it to correct forum, please. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
1st post be gentle....

Smallish house? Sell three of those routers (keep the one that works the best). :)

If you are going to split the load across devices (or ISPs), you typically want to look at splitting the heaviest usage devices across ISP services rather arbitrarily grouping by functionality. This assumes you want to divide by load and not security though. IoT and other insecure devices are often best put on guest networks if possible to help isolate them.

Smallish house? Sell three of those routers (keep the one that works the best). :) L&LD Im kinda of a tech hoarder.

Appreciate the advice. Yeah primarily put my older devices on 1st modem/router and newer devices on the 2nd ISP service.

So yeah had to look up IoT devices. The guest network suggestion was never even a thought. It is now. The only reason I added a 2nd ISP service was I felt I had too many devices always on connected. EX Watching 3 different baseball games on tv, ipad & iphone simultaneously. Plus more stuff of non importance.

It sounds like before I worry about router order I should prioritize my connected devices and stop worrying about if my camaro, pickup and 4 wheeler can all be driven at the same time by myself.
I will do some forum searching on prioritizing and load management. Having new tech just because its new has always been a gimme gimme vice. Hello google glasses.......;)

Any other networking tips are appreciated.

If you have the ax11000 and a 89x to play around with, you thought of running the 89x in dual wan load balancing, then run your other routers as AP's, aimesh, media bridges etc?

The system should then automatically utilize both connections as needed.

How fast are the two ISP connections? I would get rid of all those spiders. 2 x RT-AC86U may be all that’s needed. What clients and how many?

I bought and returned a GT-AX11000 ... I just use a single RT-AC5300 and two AC68u as repeaters. Works great. i'm doing wireless backhaul to AC68u in my home office and then wire it to computers.
No AiMesh. I manually configured it.
4000 sq ft house with weird interference issues.
YMMV. Don't overthink it.

Appreciate the feedback. Both ISP 150 down.
Amount of clients 12 wireless cameras, multiple phones/ipads, 3 xbox, 3 ps4, 3 pcs, numerous other speakers, odd devices and tvs. Heck even my dishwasher...which have no idea why it needs wifi.

I was reading or pretending to understand dong knows review of the AX89X. https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax89x-review/
Versatile multi-gig applications
In terms of usage roles, here are how the RT-AX89X’s two 10Gbps ports work:

· Both as LAN ports (default). In this case, they don’t support LAN Link Aggregation — you can’t combine them into a single 20Gbps connection.

· Both as WAN ports. In this case, they don’t support WAN Link Aggregation but can work as Dual-WAN, where each connects to a different service provider.

· One as a WAN port, and the other as a LAN port.

That said, again, you can get multiple units of the RT-AX89X and use network cables to link them up to via 10Gbps connections to form an AiMesh setup. In this case, you’ll get yourself the fastest home mesh Wi-Fi system that can deliver multi-gig Internet throughout.

I was hoping to do wired back haul to at least 3 of the devices and use the last as wireless aimesh in my shop.

Simple thought...Dual WAN into AX89X >>>wired node AX11000>>>wired node gt-ac5300>>>wireless node rt-ac5300
Create guest network for cameras and lesser security risk devices and such.

I still think you have way too many routers. Your WAN is too slow to even care about AX.

I have 40-50 clients on a single 5G channel on the AC-5300 with no issue.

My thermostats and security run on 2.4G only because they suck. And my car connects too to check for updates/map/traffic.

Home office on an AC66U_B1 for wired to the wireless extender (lower latency).

And my cameras and kids rooms are running on an extender AC66U_B1 ... only because it’s too far from the AC5300.

in summary you’re spending a LOT more to actually get lower - and maybe messy - performance.

Appreciate the feedback. Both ISP 150 down.
Amount of clients 12 wireless cameras, multiple phones/ipads, 3 xbox, 3 ps4, 3 pcs, numerous other speakers, odd devices and tvs. Heck even my dishwasher...which have no idea why it needs wifi.

My WAN is lacking so I over compensate with routers. ::(

One day Suddenlink (suddencrap) will give us gig speed. Or so the guy that lives under the bridge told me. All joking aside...Sounds like the AX89x is going back to newegg. Overkill and no benefit to me.

K-2SO I will send you pics of the ROG logo so you can help pic the static color for it to display. :rolleyes:

The more reading and digging brings me to more conclusions of I am a feature (groupie) of tech. Not really understanding the practical application I need.

Let me throw one more out to the folks getting their giggles off me....Routers such as mine work better high? Vertical on wall? Because my overall complaint is my wireless cameras lag and sometimes load slowly. 8 Ring cameras. I have run cat6 throughout my house and I have dumb switches behind tvs trying to get any device on hard wire vs wireless connection.

lindros2 with 40+ wireless clients and no issue sounds awesome. My house is wood framed and no large metal appliances in direct line to majority of my cameras. Iphone max pro doesn't stream as well on wifi. Outdoor wireless speaker is spotty.

I have upgraded each router thinking bigger, faster, smarter and continue to have same issues. Maybe I need to scrap the toys and reevaluate my setup and infrastructure. I could throw out device models and blah blah but ultimately comes back to my connections don't feel snappy or always smooth.

I do appreciate all the replies and advice. My 2 ISP come in on 1 coax to almost center of the house. The AX11000 wireless is snappy and smooth but the 2 (rt & gt) 5300 wireless is noticeably laggy. Those devices should handle 8 ring cameras plus 3 other wireless cameras with ease in my opinion. Maybe I will drop the 2 older models Dual WAN into AX11000 or AX89X if i keep it.

One day Suddenlink (suddencrap) will give us gig speed. Or so the guy that lives under the bridge told me. All joking aside...Sounds like the AX89x is going back to newegg. Overkill and no benefit to me.

K-2SO I will send you pics of the ROG logo so you can help pic the static color for it to display. :rolleyes:

The more reading and digging brings me to more conclusions of I am a feature (groupie) of tech. Not really understanding the practical application I need.

Let me throw one more out to the folks getting their giggles off me....Routers such as mine work better high? Vertical on wall? Because my overall complaint is my wireless cameras lag and sometimes load slowly. 8 Ring cameras. I have run cat6 throughout my house and I have dumb switches behind tvs trying to get any device on hard wire vs wireless connection.

lindros2 with 40+ wireless clients and no issue sounds awesome. My house is wood framed and no large metal appliances in direct line to majority of my cameras. Iphone max pro doesn't stream as well on wifi. Outdoor wireless speaker is spotty.

I have upgraded each router thinking bigger, faster, smarter and continue to have same issues. Maybe I need to scrap the toys and reevaluate my setup and infrastructure. I could throw out device models and blah blah but ultimately comes back to my connections don't feel snappy or always smooth.

I do appreciate all the replies and advice. My 2 ISP come in on 1 coax to almost center of the house. The AX11000 wireless is snappy and smooth but the 2 (rt & gt) 5300 wireless is noticeably laggy. Those devices should handle 8 ring cameras plus 3 other wireless cameras with ease in my opinion. Maybe I will drop the 2 older models Dual WAN into AX11000 or AX89X if i keep it.

Pick an ISP and pick a router and build one reliable network. Place the router central, high, and in the clear. Add clients slowly over time, making sure each works acceptably well. Don't hesitate to abandon cheap IoT clients that are more trouble than they are worth.

OE

You fell victim to marketing. Asus loves you as a client. Determine what you need first. Spend money on equipment covering your needs. $2000 worth of routers won't make your clients faster. I believe all you need is 1 ISP and 1-2 routers. I cover my place with 2 RT-AC2900 for under $400 total. Don't get confused by model numbers. RT-AC2900 is faster than RT-AC5300.