What's new

I have to buy new router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmetek

Occasional Visitor
My appartmenet is around 57-60 m2, 2 rooms. My bedroom where I have Milan switch from my ISP.

SCHEMATICS:

MILAN SWITCH -> SWITCH -> LIVING ROOM -> SWITCH -> TV +PS4
MILAN SWITCH -> DIR 655 ROUTER - > MY PC / SHARING etc.

Currently have old D-LINK DIR-655 A1 i think, FW 1.21.

Sold my WD TV LIVE player to NEXBOX A95X 1GB ram/8GB hdd with Android 5.1 for just 20€ or so :)

But here is the problem, WIFI streaming (from my PC in other room - sharing ) movies/TV-series when they worked fine on WD TV LIVE now they don't work good enough - like there's not enough bandwidth or cache? While streaming directly from EXODUS works fine.

I even bought RANGE EXTENDER TP-LINK WLAN TL-WA850RE to help with issue. Didn't help a lot.

What to do? Where's the catch? I also would want a router with MULTICAST option so i can put my ISP IP TV signal through router and not thrue switch to my other room, where big TVis.

I have won my bid TPLINK ARCHER C7 V 1.0 on german Ebay for 56,50€....is it worth?

I'm unfamiliar with NEXBOX and EXODUS. But if the only thing that changed is the player, the problem may be the WiFi adapter in the NEXBOX. Changing from an N to an AC class router could help make up the difference in performance.

I'm unfamiliar with NEXBOX and EXODUS. But if the only thing that changed is the player, the problem may be the WiFi adapter in the NEXBOX. Changing from an N to an AC class router could help make up the difference in performance.

If the Nexbox is anything similar to the Beelink X2 H3 (which I have), the WiFi sensitivity is pretty poor - that one uses a printed antenna on the circuit board - outside of that, the radio itself Beelink is not so great - 11n 1*1:1 HT20 only...

I ended up using ethernet to connect it to the LAN, and worked much better (in other words, the issue wasn't Android, CPU, or the apps, it was the WiFi in the box)

i bought second hand ARCHER C5 V2.0....dissapointed in signal.....same or worse then DLINK 655.

tp link archer c7 that you won is worth it.

first sign of wifi problems never buy a range extender first. range extenders are horrible. If it comes to a point where the wifi AP is more powerful than the client than a range extender can be used in that instance as long as the range extender is just as powerful as well. In your case the AP is weak.

i did bid and won 2nd hand c5, but it's range was worse then dir 655 so i sold it. meanhwhille i bought new range extender...

RT-AC66U_B1 with RMerlin firmware or better will bring you the results you seek. :)

Wow... A 3.5 year thread bump. Solid.

The C9 is a decent quality box. 1Ghz Cortex A9, 3x3 in both bands. AC Wave 1. I'm not sure what you're looking for beyond what you can already achieve with the C9, and without knowing that, just throwing out recommendations is a bit pointless.

So, is there anything specifically you'd like out of a replacement all-in-one?

Gotcha. If you're just trying to do this with a replacement all-in-one, then I'd go late-model AC Wave 2 or pre-draft AX with 4x4 spatial streams in 2.4 and 5Ghz. That will yield a bit more usable throughput over range, and likely a bit more range overall as well.

The Netgear R7800 is arguably the best option for an AC Wave 2 all-in-one, but only if running OpenWRT on it (the Netgear firmware is lackluster at best), or for something pre-draft AX, I'd look at an Asus RT-AX88U running Merlin for stability.

If either of those don't give you the range and/or throughput you're hoping for, then you'll likely need to run another AP closer to the remote location(s), with either a wire-first AP or a whole-house mesh product if you can't hard-wire.

Indeed. The R7800 represents a much better potential value -- provided you're willing to run OpenWRT. If not, I'd pay look elsewhere and potentially just pay the premium for the AX88U.

Is that a used R7800 for that price? Prices are higher for the R7800 (new) than the RT-AX88U for me normally.

New, absolutely. I'm showing $169 for an R7800 and $293 for an AX88U right now on Amazon (USA)... where you do you live that it could be so different, L&LD?

@Trip not in the USA. :)