What's new

I lose 2.4ghz when importing my settings into a RT-AC68U, works fine with factory settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

box986

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

First post here.

For a while I thought I lost 2.4 because of bad hardware. I installed a new router (same model as my last one, an RT-AC68U) and have the same issue when I import my settings. 2.4ghz works fine with the factory settings. Tech support was no help, since they just covered the standard settings like SSID broadcast, radio on, scheduler off, etc. My settings in the wifi section are all about the same as the factory settings, nothing that would cause 2.4ghz not to broadcast. I am running Merlin firmware but made no difference with Asus firmware either. 5ghz works fine.

What other settings would cause me to lose 2.4? Thanks!

Last edited:
Never import your settings from another router.

I would recommend following the M&M Config link in my signature below to get your router and network to a good/known state.

are your clients US (no ch. 12+13) and router from outside and using ch. 12+13 or even 14 (Japan)?

Never import your settings from another router.

I would recommend following the M&M Config link in my signature below to get your router and network to a good/known state.
I would hate to put all of my settings back in manually, have so many port forwarding settings (many cameras), DHCP settings, and custom named 50 or so clients

are your clients US (no ch. 12+13) and router from outside and using ch. 12+13 or even 14 (Japan)?
Not that I'm aware of. I am using my Samsung Tablet with a wifi analysis app to see all wifi signals and channels that they're on. See my 2.4 fine with factory settings, gone when i import my settings. Tried both "auto" or using a specific channel. No difference.

Last edited:
I would hate to put all of my settings back in manually, have so many port forwarding settings, DHCP settings, and custom named 50 or so clients

What do you 'hate' more? A non-working router or a little bit of work? :)

What do you 'hate' more? A non-working router or a little bit of work? :)
But it's probably one simple thing to change to get 2.4 to work. Is there any setting outside of the wireless section that could cause this?

But it's probably one simple thing to change to get 2.4 to work. Is there any setting outside of the wireless section that could cause this?
Save your current settings to a file, reset to default and see how it works. If you don’t like it restore your old bad settings. But it’s likely a non-GUI nvram variable that is not right on the new router. Too hard to chase down. There are posts here about saving the sections you are worried about.

So tell me how long you've spent on this now to get that one simple thing to get it working? :)

You may be right. I just know that flashing old saved settings from other routers (even if it's the same model) and re-using old SSID's (please read all the pertinent links in my signature below) is a good way to get less than the maximum performance, reliability, and stability from a new router. :)

If you do decide to do this properly (the M&M Config + other links in my signature), I would suggest considering first flashing the RMerlin 384.12 Beta 2 firmware. This is a new level of firmware performance and security, ime. :)

I think they have different bootloader versions and hw-revisions and so different default values (cfe version like 1.0 2.0 and 1.0.2.1).
They introduced new variables like territory_code on newer model.
You must not import it from one to another router!

Last edited:
It's not just boot loaders that are different, features/settings/drivers/hardware/architecture are different between models , if they weren't Merlin would only have to produce one single firmware .

You don't import settings between models.

It's not just boot loaders that are different, features/settings/drivers/hardware/architecture are different between models , if they weren't Merlin would only have to produce one single firmware .

You don't import settings between models.

It is the same model

It is the same model

But maybe a different hardware revision, with different features ?

Simple fact, with a new router manual set up is always best.

What exact model numbers are the 2 devices?

I decided to start from scratch using @L&LD recommendations. 2.4 is working fine. Just like last router though, client list is only showing about 10-15 of the 50 clients on the network. I guess I should start another thread about how to resolve that. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I decided to start from scratch using @L&LD recommendations. 2.4 is working fine. Just like last router though, client list is only showing about 10-15 of the 50 clients on the network. I guess I should start another thread about how to resolve that. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Give it some time to settle in... the client list may improve some.

OE

Give it some time to settle in... the client list may improve some.

OE
My old router (same model) got worse over time with the list. Seems I am not the only one, just makes it so much more time consuming adding port forwarding & DHCP MAC addresses manually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!