What's new

[I NEED HELP] - From Advanced Users - Upgraded Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azilko

New Around Here
I'm currently running a home network w/ a 1Gig Cable Modem (in Bridget Mode) -> connected to a Palo Alto 3020, and a Orbi system for my mesh.

My issue, is that I do a LOT of with media, and run a Plex server. Orbi's networking options were horrendous (lack of basic NAT and routing options, etc), and couldn't handle the significant amount of devices on my network w/o overheating and crashing. So, I had a buddy help me setup a Juniper, but later, a buddy helped me out, and loaned me the PAN 3020.

The PAN can (clearly) take anything thrown at it...except uPNP, other consumer based networking (for local integration / discovery), and a dumbed down interface that I can work... I can do a lot of things in the PAN, I understand basic routing, and considerably more than the average consumer, but this PAN quickly goes beyond where I'm able to effectively, and gets into proprietary configs that I'd need to learn to implement.

Additionally, I have ZERO love for the Orbi... Absolutely a terrible product if you need more than the most basic of networking IMO.

So here's what I'm in need of... (I hope you can help)

I have a 5,550 sqft house. I have a LOT of connected devices. The PAN ports are completely filled w/ CAT5/6 going into them, so I'll need a Gig Switch. I have a CAT5 run to my main floor, from the media closer where the router / modem live, but everything comes in to the basement. So I can rock a mid floor AP without an issue.

Essentially, I need a router than can handle well north of ~50 devices, more advanced routing options (NAT, QoS, etc), and supports an easily to use mesh config. I have access to enterprise AP's (AeroHive, etc), but would prefer something more consumer friendly as I would prefer to not need a network engineer to help.

Also, It's important that Apple Home, Amazon Alexa, etc, ALL work in / out of the network (which I've struggled with w/ the Apple HomeKit gear).

I stream 80-120Gb video files locally (hardwired to video switcher -> projector, wifi to a TV on the main floor), while other devices stream Netflix. Additionally, the server (capped by my ISP at 35Mbps up) is typically streaming out.

Finally, during the week, I run an internet based company from home. Prioritizing video conferencing (via QoS) would be something that I'd like, that could be easily configured.

Lastly, I'd really like a strong mesh network that's easily expandable.

I hope I'm not asking a lot here (I don't think I am as we're just looking at a more consumer friendly router w/ a switch, and AP's).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...

Last edited:
Pay a network pro to design a system and implement since you have real business networking needs. If you don't want them to do everything, pay them to design and consult on the implementation. Likely cheaper to let them turn key the system. You work on exactly what you want the network to be capable of.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!