What's new

I need help with network setup, please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

element72

Occasional Visitor
I have tomato router and dd-wrt router. I have 2 very long ethernet cables. One router is the wrt54gs and the other is a net gear wnr2000v3. I want to extend wifi to 2 other rooms in the house. I am currently using my neighbors wifi with permission. My own internet won't be installed till next week, but I have a tenant that needs wifi. I think she wants to stream netflix or something, so I am assuming that would take up about 1MB/s for HD quality. I can get 10mb/s from the window near my front door. I have an unused 2-yr old laptop I could use as well; it was new 2 years ago (some lenovo model).

Hence, I need the best possible setup with what I have. What I have noticed so far is that using either router as a wireless client bridge is unreliable (some consistent disconnects). I speculate because the routers are very old, but the primary router (the neighbors) is more advanced, which it gives off a strong signal to my house.

What options can I consider in setting this up?
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and I love you guys for helping me out in the past, and you guys have always solved my network problems. Cheers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!