What's new

I need to get the modem/router pair most suited for my needs. Any help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terabytest

New Around Here
I have an integrated modem/router, a Cisco Linksys WAG120n. It doesn't perform well at all. It often slows down, overheats and just randomly drops connections, resulting in a lot of frustration on my part. I want to replace it because I use the internet for work and it's very hard to deal with it.

I've been told it's best to buy a modem and a router separately, instead of something that performs both functions (if you disagree, please let me know. I don't really personally know what's best).
I'm looking for your help in finding the right products for my specific case, because I don't have much of a clue about what to look for or where to look.

I have a small house. It's two floors, the size of a small apartment each. The walls are relatively thick, and the signal from my current router reaches downstairs but it's not very powerful.

I mostly use the internet via wifi. I have many devices connected at the same time: my laptop, my iPad, my iPhone. My dad also has an iPhone and an iPad and a desktop computer (that connects through an ethernet cable), and we have a few more devices hanging around the house. Ideally, we're looking for a device that wouldn't cave in under the amount of connections.

As for how I use the Internet: I am a web developer, so I usually need quick access to web pages when looking for documentation or just reading online forums. I also watch videos on YouTube often, but it's currently very frustrating because they often buffer every few seconds.
I also make heavy use of Spotify to stream music, which uses P2P to distribute music to other clients, and I often notice that my connection slows down because Spotify is sending music to someone else. Usually, if I just shut down Spotify while watching a video I will see the video buffer much faster (still not very fast), but it's a bit of a hassle and I'd like to be able to watch videos or use the internet without having to close Spotify every time.

I don't currently do any torrenting, gaming or other heavy-weight operations, although it'd be a nice benefit to have a modem/router that can support this kind of usage as well.

I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money on this (at most around $140) because it's a frustrating issue and, since I use the Internet for work, I would benefit from a faster speed (although my ISP is another bottleneck, but I'm trying to sort that out as well).

So yeah, there's my information. If you need to know anything more, just ask and I'll do my best to let you know :)

What do you suggest I buy? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Put the existing router into bridge mode(Maybe your ISP will do it for you downloading different f/w like our ISP or you can do it yourself using DMZ) and then connect router of yourown choice. Most popular one here seems to be ASUS ones.
good luck.

Hi,
Put the existing router into bridge mode(Maybe your ISP will do it for you downloading different f/w like our ISP or you can do it yourself using DMZ) and then connect router of yourown choice. Most popular one here seems to be ASUS ones.
good luck.

Will that effectively turn my router into a modem? Won't I still suffer from the performance problems caused by the device itself (like overheating and such)? I'm afraid that keeping the old device around might not help to solve the issue entirely.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!