Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

I seem to stuck on 376.49_5

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Thagor, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Thagor

Thagor Occasional Visitor

My router is a AC56U and I wanted to update it. I downloaded the correct version RT-AC56U_380.65_0.trx from the mediafire host. Now when I go to the Firmware Upgrade tab on my router an select this file the procedure starts and runs until it hits 100% and tells me it was successful. The browser refreshes and I'm back at the network map page but the firmware is still 376.49_5. I tried it now a couple of times with a reboot before I update and with a different browser (FF and Chrome) but no luck every time the same thing happens or to more precise seemingly nothing happens. Now I'm out of ideas :(

2. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Very Senior Member

You cant jump directly to 380.65 from 376.XX.You need an intermidiate upgrade(CFE upgrade).
    First reboot, flash with 378.55, and then 380.65..... reset to factory default when on 380.65 and reconfig from beginning

3. Thagor

Thagor Occasional Visitor

Thanks!

4. canuck in the wilderness

canuck in the wilderness Occasional Visitor

Thanks - same problem (AC68U / 374.43). Hope I can simply restore saved config settings.....

5. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

Nope, you should not restore old firmware settings to new version! :eek:

You can use John's User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility to only save and restore USER enter data - not the whole HIDDEN CONFIG data which is firmware version dependent! :rolleyes:

Same problem equals same solution:
    You wanna jump from a very old version to the newest - an intermediate step is needed! For the AC68U, you need to install first version 378.50 for the CFE (BIOS) Update - then you can jump to the newest 380.65 version.

And: You have to do a factory reset AFTER the update to .65 and reconfigure the router manually from scratch or use John's tool! :oops:

Sanna1967 likes this.
  6. canuck in the wilderness

canuck in the wilderness Occasional Visitor

Thanks Joegreat - have upgraded and notice that all setting still intact - assume I should STILL do a factory reset and manual config (it's not that much on this router so not a big deal).

7. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

Yep, to many "hidden" settings changed from the old firmware to the new one: Do yourself a favor and run the factory reset and reconfigure the router from scratch.