Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

I seem to stuck on 376.49_5

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Thagor, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Thagor

Thagor Occasional Visitor

My router is a AC56U and I wanted to update it. I downloaded the correct version RT-AC56U_380.65_0.trx from the mediafire host. Now when I go to the Firmware Upgrade tab on my router an select this file the procedure starts and runs until it hits 100% and tells me it was successful. The browser refreshes and I'm back at the network map page but the firmware is still 376.49_5. I tried it now a couple of times with a reboot before I update and with a different browser (FF and Chrome) but no luck every time the same thing happens or to more precise seemingly nothing happens. Now I'm out of ideas :(

2. Thagor

Thagor Occasional Visitor

Thanks!

3. canuck in the wilderness

canuck in the wilderness Occasional Visitor

Thanks - same problem (AC68U / 374.43). Hope I can simply restore saved config settings.....

4. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

Nope, you should not restore old firmware settings to new version! :eek:

You can use John's User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility to only save and restore USER enter data - not the whole HIDDEN CONFIG data which is firmware version dependent! :rolleyes:

Same problem equals same solution:
    You wanna jump from a very old version to the newest - an intermediate step is needed! For the AC68U, you need to install first version 378.50 for the CFE (BIOS) Update - then you can jump to the newest 380.65 version.

And: You have to do a factory reset AFTER the update to .65 and reconfigure the router manually from scratch or use John's tool! :oops:

Sanna1967 likes this.
  5. canuck in the wilderness

canuck in the wilderness Occasional Visitor

Thanks Joegreat - have upgraded and notice that all setting still intact - assume I should STILL do a factory reset and manual config (it's not that much on this router so not a big deal).

6. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

Yep, to many "hidden" settings changed from the old firmware to the new one: Do yourself a favor and run the factory reset and reconfigure the router from scratch.