What's new

I want to buy router for 1Gbps internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hayder

New Around Here
Hello
I want to buy router for 1G internet, so which one you suggest for good results and good price...
I bought DLink AC1200 but I got about 200Mbps .
thanks

Is there less price than ac88u? And what is the difference between 88u and 68u?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I read that AC68u has 521mbps real speed, so why they put 1900 on it ?

From the 68U product sheet..
Super-fast AC Wi-Fi with TurboQAM™ Wi-Fi acceleration
Powered by 5th generation Wi-Fi (5G Wi-Fi), the new 802.11ac chipset gives the RT-AC68U superfast Gigabit wireless speeds. What's more, RT-AC68U uses TurboQAM™ technology to upgrade 2.4G Wi-Fi even further to give you unprecedented speeds. At 2.4 GHz, it's 33% faster than generic wireless-N900 routers, reaching 600 Mbps, while on the 5 GHz band it blazes to 1300 Mbps - or triple 802.11n rates. That's 1900 Mbps of concurrent wireless power!

So the real 5G speed of Ac68u is?cause I read that it's just 521mbps

Speed will vary in different applications. You have to test it to see it's true speed in your environment.

Just a router "Edge Router X" or "MediaTek", Router with WIFI "Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800", ASUS RT-AC88U

So do you suggest buying the Edge Router X to do the main routing of traffic and the R7800 or RT-AC88U would be like WAPs? I'm new to complicated setups, how does one setup a router like the Netgear or ASUS to be a WAP?

What about the Ubiquiti AmpliFi combo'd with the Edge Router X?

I have a Edge Router X if i was you i will buy also a Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC PRO with it.
That would cover your needs, but that my opinion about it.

I'm looking for a router that has outstanding LAN WAN performance. Most of my devices are on ethernet and they do the heavy lifting not WiFi. I'm talking Xbox One, couple of Tivos used for streaming Netflix, Amazon etc and a Mac Mini used as a server. Also have wired cameras that are viewable outside my network. iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros are on the network using WiFi.

I am looking at the NETGEAR X4S R7800 Gaming Router as SNB shows it has really fast LAN WAN performance and is also good in other areas. We are getting Google Fiber in a few weeks and once that happens I want to get a fast router.

Comments?

I'm looking for a router that has outstanding LAN WAN performance. Most of my devices are on ethernet and they do the heavy lifting not WiFi. I'm talking Xbox One, couple of Tivos used for streaming Netflix, Amazon etc and a Mac Mini used as a server. Also have wired cameras that are viewable outside my network. iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pros are on the network using WiFi.

I am looking at the NETGEAR X4S R7800 Gaming Router as SNB shows it has really fast LAN WAN performance and is also good in other areas. We are getting Google Fiber in a few weeks and once that happens I want to get a fast router.

Comments?

I'm curious, what are you currently getting for download speeds on your hard wired Xbox One? What do you expect to get when your Google Fiber is in place?
I recently upgraded my Cox Ultimate (300Mbps down) to their Gigablast, and I want to say before the upgrade my Xbox was getting 250ish down, but now with Gigablast its like 150 down, but like 400 - 600 up, I expected more from Gigabit.

I own an ASUS RT-AC68U Rev B1 and can get WAN-LAN speeds of 945 Mbps with NAT acceleration set to auto and CTF enabled. If you need to use any router features the disable NAT acceleration then expect around 400 Mbps. The faster AC88/AC3100 will do around 600 Mbps WAN-LAN with NAT acceleration disabled.

I own an ASUS RT-AC68U Rev B1 and can get WAN-LAN speeds of 945 Mbps with NAT acceleration set to auto and CTF enabled. If you need to use any router features the disable NAT acceleration then expect around 400 Mbps. The faster AC88/AC3100 will do around 600 Mbps WAN-LAN with NAT acceleration disabled.

I have a TP-Link Archer C2600, I don't know if it has NAT acceleration or CTF settings? Guess I'll have to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are getting Google Fiber in a few weeks and once that happens I want to get a fast router.
Comments?
Any reason you aren't going to use the Google provided device? Is there a specific feature missing that you are looking for? My GF provided router so far provides 950Mbps+ up/down on the wired side and 250Mbps+ on the wireless side (I don't have any AC devices). The range and overall performance of the GF router seems pretty good across my entire house.

However, there are features I wanted (VPN, proxy, FW, etc) which led me to a dedicated pfSense FW which can handle about 900Mbps on the wired side. I am using RT-N66U as AP.....for now.

I found the AC68U to be entirely underpowered, in fact my old N56U is significantly faster. Keep in mind that if your carrier requires VLAN tagging and PPPoE that none of the routed benchmarks matter to you as they don't actually represent that, and the PPPoE is the achilles heal in many of these platforms as it is often single threaded and entirely CPU driven.

Wish we could consolidate threads on this subject, I guess we are all too lazy to look at existing relevant threads before starting new ones.

I'm curious, what are you currently getting for download speeds on your hard wired Xbox One? What do you expect to get when your Google Fiber is in place?
I recently upgraded my Cox Ultimate (300Mbps down) to their Gigablast, and I want to say before the upgrade my Xbox was getting 250ish down, but now with Gigablast its like 150 down, but like 400 - 600 up, I expected more from Gigabit.
Interesting. I don't know how to measure Xbox speeds however. My TWC cable only provides 50 down and 10 up at best of times.

I like to buy equipment that exceeds my current needs because you never know what your future needs will be. The GF box might turn out to be just fine, but I do want a firewall and a few other things that it does not provide.

Any reason you aren't going to use the Google provided device? Is there a specific feature missing that you are looking for? My GF provided router so far provides 950Mbps+ up/down on the wired side and 250Mbps+ on the wireless side (I don't have any AC devices). The range and overall performance of the GF router seems pretty good across my entire house.

However, there are features I wanted (VPN, proxy, FW, etc) which led me to a dedicated pfSense FW which can handle about 900Mbps on the wired side. I am using RT-N66U as AP.....for now.
I'll certainly try the GF box first, but like you I want a firewall and perhaps other things it doesn't offer. All my stuff is Apple including my current router, so anything I buy needs to support Apple features like AirPrint and bonjour etc. That's soemthing else I'll need to investigate before picking a router I guess.