Icons on ASUS Router web page

bertilak

Regular Contributor
Hi,

My ASUS RT-AC86U shows two icons for wireless-connected devices on the network map page:

icons.png

What is the difference between the two?

I am using the Merlin firmware but I suspect that is not important.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Could be some are using the wave theory vs. others using the particle theory of radio wave propagation?

BobD

Regular Contributor
Did those icons survive a reboot or power cycle?
That list of attached devices is a bit weird.
Mine frequently shows devices that haven't been powered on for days.
They also return after a Refresh.
It also shows phantom devices that don't return after a reboot.
This is on both ASUS and Merlin FW.

bertilak

Regular Contributor
BobD,

It survives a power cycle.

Only one device has that icon:

Ting is a device that plugs into the wall and monitors the electrical system for anomalies. I have no idea if it really works but my insurance company (State Farm) sent it to me unsolicited.

That unusual icon must mean something!

A Google image search turns up nothing.

BobD

Regular Contributor
Ting is a device that plugs into the wall and monitors the electrical system for anomalies. I have no idea if it really works but my insurance company (State Farm) sent it to me unsolicited.
That Ting might be a good thing to get rid of. If you have an electrical surge that kills a few gadgets then your insurance may use that to avoid a payout.

bertilak

Regular Contributor
A clue...
When I rebooted the router all my devices reconnected and the log shows many entries like this:

Sep 27 16:24:47 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth5: Assoc 38: DE:AD:A6: D1:12, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

All are "eth5" or "eth6." All are wireless devices, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The Ting has a different log entry:

Sep 27 16:34:47 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): wl0.1: Assoc C4:7F:51:A6:46:3D, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

Note the "wl0.1." No other device has a log entry like that

So, what does Wl0.1 mean?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!