What's new

Ideal home router for VoIP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Looking for input on what might be the top 3 routers to evaluate for home use if the criteria is simply the ability to successfully prioritize VoIP traffic over all other using the FACTORY firmware.

I used to get satisfactory results from Asus rt-ac68u product with factory firmware but with the advent of COVID-19 the QoS or other features were changed somehow for marketing purposes to target people working at home. The result was certain types of traffic began to regularly disrupt VoIP calls on stock firmware installed post start of COVID regardless of how you adjust the QoS settings. I believe this was unintentional on the part of Asus but then again I can't find any evidence they have addressed it. So onwards.

Would appreciate if anyone can share the make and model of a router with factory FW that worked for them.

Best regards to all. Ed

Looking for input on what might be the top 3 routers to evaluate for home use if the criteria is simply the ability to successfully prioritize VoIP traffic over all other using the FACTORY firmware.

I used to get satisfactory results from Asus rt-ac68u product with factory firmware but with the advent of COVID-19 the QoS or other features were changed somehow for marketing purposes to target people working at home. The result was certain types of traffic began to regularly disrupt VoIP calls on stock firmware installed post start of COVID regardless of how you adjust the QoS settings. I believe this was unintentional on the part of Asus but then again I can't find any evidence they have addressed it. So onwards.

Would appreciate if anyone can share the make and model of a router with factory FW that worked for them.

Best regards to all. Ed

I've used ITSP SIP VoIP with ASUS N66U, AC68U, AC86U, and now AX86U without using QoS, with cable Internet ranging from 60/5 to 200/10... without issues. I always disable WAN\SIP Passthrough (SIP ALG) to prevent one-way audio. VoIP traffic does not require significant throughput (one channel/session can require ~87Kbps or less in one direction depending on the codec used)... just needs to be timely.

Assuming typical home traffic and decent Internet service, I would think any current router and no QoS should suffice. Otherwise, I would want to better know where/how exactly VoIP calls are being impacted.

OE

Last edited:
The top recommendations don't change, routers are routers, even today.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

If you have the budget, the RT-AX86U is the one to buy unless you're upgrading again 'soon-ish' (i.e. within 2 years).

I used to get satisfactory results from Asus rt-ac68u product with factory firmware but with the advent of COVID-19 the QoS or other features were changed somehow for marketing purposes to target people working at home. The result was certain types of traffic began to regularly disrupt VoIP calls on stock firmware installed post start of COVID regardless of how you adjust the QoS settings.
Reliable VoIP is a priority for me - I use three connections with three providers and have done for a number of years, across several routers, internet connections ranging from 12/1 ADSL to 100/40 fibre, many different ISP providers, and countless firmwares (both stock, Merlin, and non Asus).

During all that time I've experienced many issues, but only ever had issues with VoIP twice. The first time was part of a much wider hardware issue (dying LAN ports, ended up replacing router). The second time was when I started playing around with QoS priorities, which were an endless source of frustration with VoIP in particular and are clearly beyond me - eventually went back to no QoS and issues disappeared. Currently successfully using Cake, but that's another story and not an option on Asus stock firmware.
In terms of Asus routers still currently on the market, I have personally not had any issues with VoIP on stock firmware on AC86U and before that AC68U. As long as I stay away from QoS...

VoIP is built into my Technicolor CGM4140COM has been 100% reliable for me. It replaced a standalone HT-812 behind an Asus RT-AX88U, which worked well, but a few minor issues.

VoIP is built into my Technicolor CGM4140COM has been 100% reliable for me. It replaced a standalone HT-812 behind an Asus RT-AX88U, which worked well, but a few minor issues.
I had the TG-789 at one point - worked well within its limitations.

cable Internet ranging from 60/5 to 200/10... without issues. I always disable WAN\SIP Passthrough (SIP ALG) to prevent one-way audio. VoIP traffic does not require significant throughput (one channel/session can require ~87Kbps or less in one direction depending on the codec used)... just needs to be timely.

Interestingly enough - I had a project where we were doing very low data rate voice - AMR-NB 5.9 mode 2 (which is half rate), and at that low of rate, QoS starts becoming a very real problem, believe it or not. Full duplex voice typically would use less than 10 kbit/sec, and we would see a lot of burstiness even with fq_codel and additional application traffic shaping. It was crazy trying to keep the data rates consistent as to not impact the overall voice quality scores.

AMR-NB is one of the codecs for VoLTE, btw...

I am new to 3rd Party Routers as I have always used British Telecommunications (BT) Supplied Routers, but now in the UNITED KINGDOM Landlines are all being forced by Government here, to be switched to VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocols); but since I installed the "3rd Party" ASUS RT-AX86U Router on my FTTP Line, my BT ISP and Landline Phone Provider's DECT Handsets are Unable to Link with my RT-AX86U for Landline Service... So that now I have no access to my Landline.

There must be a way around this problem - but BT Technical Advisors just say they have no knowledge base and no experience with 3rd Party Routers, and thus can not help me at all...

I did look up on the Internet and it seems there is a possibility to Enable VoIP Service through my Router, but there is too little information available for me to work with.
If I cannot fix this problem my wife may insist that I return my ASUS Router and continue with the BT ISP Provided "Smart Hub 2", just so that we can connect to the FTTP Landline with their DECT Handsets...
Here is the short article that suggests a Solution is possibly already within the Design of the RT-AX86U?
https://support.8x8.com/equipment-d.../how-to-configure-asus-router-for-8x8-service

Basically it appears I must just choose to either return the ASUS Router, or my wife will be unappy for me to use my Router of choice (Which to me is not a good thing for protecting my Family Online, nor for Providing Tech Future Proofing for the advances in Wi-Fi Technologies).

As I am someone with multiple Medical Infirmities I depend on a Fixed Landline, and VoIP is the next best thing to that, whilst Mobile/Cell Phone Signal Coverage is extremely weak out here where we live.

This may require collaboration with British Telecommunications (BT) and ASUS, and speaking to the Research and Development Laboratories - if a solution is not already Built-In to this Router by the ASUS Design Team...?

If there is already provision for VoIP Designed into this Router, then I would like to also ask if it can operate witha LAN Port as a POE (Power over Internet) Port for a VoIP Phone?

Can you perhaps check this out for me?

I REALLY want to use this Router and it's excellent Security and Safety features - it's Wi-Fi 6 futureproofing and Strong Wi-Fi Signal is already useful to me.

With deepest gratitude for your time and any efforts to help out.

Landline Phone Provider's DECT Handsets are Unable to Link with my RT-AX86U for Landline Service...

Well... your BT combi modem/router/voice device perhaps has built-in ATA hardware and RJ11 ports. Your Asus router only doesn't.

If I cannot fix this problem my wife may insist that I return my ASUS Router and continue with the BT ISP Provided "Smart Hub 2", just so that we can connect to the FTTP Landline with their DECT Handsets...

With the SH2, you might not have a choice - IIRC, the SH2 is the DECT base station for the handsets, and they are not SIP based (the telecom ATA is inside the SH2).

You could run the Asus router in the DMZ of the SH2, but that would introduce double NAT'ing for IPv4 connectivity -- IPv6 is probably less of a problem there, depends on how the SH2 handles things.

Well... your BT combi modem/router/voice device perhaps has built-in ATA hardware and RJ11 ports. Your Asus router only doesn't.
Thank you - I suspect that the BT SH2 is by design limited to communicte only with the BT DECT Phones (Their Tech Advisor seemed to suspect the same thing -0 but I could not escalate my problem within the Company to speak to their Design Laboratory Team to find out). This then effectively forces me to think about Slaving the far better ASUS RT-AX86U Router (Which is counter-intuitive. However if the BT SH2 was a Mesh Slave to my ASUS RT-AX86U Router, that would be perfect - yet I am not sure if the ASUS Router would be able to connect the BT SH2 as a Mesh Slave and as a VoIP Hub?)

Is it possible to use another 3rd Party DECT Phone, connecting with the ASUS RT-AX86U Router through a LAN Port?
Or is it possible to purchase a 3rd Party Modem with x2 WAN Ports for me to connect a VoIP Enabled Phone Set (If there are Phones that can), alongside my ASUS RT-AX86U Router?

With the SH2, you might not have a choice - IIRC, the SH2 is the DECT base station for the handsets, and they are not SIP based (the telecom ATA is inside the SH2).

You could run the Asus router in the DMZ of the SH2, but that would introduce double NAT'ing for IPv4 connectivity -- IPv6 is probably less of a problem there, depends on how the SH2 handles things.
I agree with your assessment, however see my note to sfx2000 above.
It would surely not make sense to Slave the far better ASUS RT-AX86U Router under the SH2 (Performance would surely be limited, or would that be incorrect in my thinking so)?

I am also dubious about the idea that the SH2 would still connect the VoiP service to the DECT Phone if I could Slave the ASUS RT-AX86U Router?
(I am not sure if and how the ASUS RT-AX86U Router could or would Slave under the SH2?)

A lot of questions - I do apologise I am absolutely new to the Techincal Side of Routers and Modems,as I have been forced to jump into the "Very Deep End", as BT Techs do not have any idea how to resolve any of this.

The last Offer to Resolution from BT has been to Purchase a Second FTTP Line, as they can no longer offer me any other Service Lines for VoIP Connection, nor a Traditional Copper Line (Government and BT Policy).

alongside my ASUS RT-AX86U Router

The best option for you is to use the BT provided device for Internet connection and VoIP, disable Wi-Fi on it, use your Asus router in double NAT behind the BT device. This way you can use all Asus features as router and have VoIP service via BT device. If you have issues with your Internet connection, call BT to fix. You use the device they have provided to you - their problem. If you replace it with your own device - it becomes your problem.

Hi Tech9,

Thank you for the suggestion.

You mentioned "disable Wi-Fi on it, use your Asus router in double NAT behind the BT device." -- Do you have any idea how I would go about this?

Question:
If I did manage to do this: Would it not affect the Stability and or Speed of Data Downstream and Upstream at the Point of the ASUS RT-AX86U Router Wi-Fi and or LAN connection to my Desktop PC?
(It would from my very limited thinking mean that I pass through a Lesser Capable BT SH2 Router, providing a Bottleneck to the extremely Capable ASUS RT-AX86U Router - and thus my expectation would be that I would have a loss in Data Flow if not the loss of Wi-Fi Signal Strength, teh latter may be unaffected I suppose?)
If my train of reasoning is correct it make the ASUS RT-AX86U Router obsoluete as a solution for my needs...?

Do you have any idea how I would go about this?

You have to check the manual for your BT device.

Stability and or Speed

There is no stability and user measurable speed/latency penalty in double NAT. Your Asus router will be using the BT device for Internet connection only, as a more advanced modem. The connection between BT device and Asus will be Gigabit, or up to 940Mbps both ways. There are some configuration differences in double NAT, but get there first and come back for help, if needed. You can use all Asus features and your VoIP as designed from BT.

Thank you Tech9 that sounds like a very good plan, as you have noted that it is essentially going to leave my ASUS Router in the very same state of use and performance, even if connected as a Doule NAT
(I now just need to learn what "Double NAT" means practically and to learn about it from zero understanding and knowledge, and how to set up Double NAT - after seeing if I can disable the BT SM2 Wi-Fi ~ lol)

Is there any downside to "Double NAT" if I manage to get that set up?
(I just noted that the Search Engine has brought up tons of concerning Questions concerning "Double NAT")

Not much. It needs a bit more attention to port forwarding, but nothing scary.

There is nothing too complicated. If you have your BT device up and running, just connect Asus WAN port to BT any LAN port. Power up the Asus and set it up as normal with WAN Connection Type set to Automatic IP. I don't think you run any services open to Internet (like VPN server), so perhaps you don't need to care about port forwarding. If you do, come back here and we'll help you set it up. Your Asus router has default LAN IP 192.168.50.1 - leave it this way. Connect all your devices to the Asus router, wired or wireless. That's it. Leave your VoIP as it is connected to BT device. It will work as intended.

Find the BT device manual on-line, see how you can disable Wi-Fi on it. If you have no access to BT device settings, call them and tell them you need the Wi-Fi disabled. I don't know how BT works. Some have an app, some web portal, some allow access to settings on IP address. Do some research.

Thank you Tech9 that sounds like a very good plan, as you have noted that it is essentially going to leave my ASUS Router in the very same state of use and performance, even if connected as a Doule NAT
(I now just need to learn what "Double NAT" means practically and to learn about it from zero understanding and knowledge, and how to set up Double NAT - after seeing if I can disable the BT SM2 Wi-Fi ~ lol)

(I just noted that the Search Engine has brought up tons of concerning Questions concerning "Double NAT")
There is no problem running in a double NAT unless you for some reason want to run some type of server on the ASUS router. It has no measurable impact on latency. No need to put the ASUS router in the DMZ of your primary router.

The biggest problem is that people who have never run double NAT will tell you not to do it and its problematic and if you ever call tech support about a network issue they will immediately try to blame it on the double NAT setup.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.pdf
    674.6 KB · Views: 75
VoIP on the ISP router or ATA connected to it is a good Internet connection up/down indicator before the double NATed router - just pick up the phone and check if there is a dial tone. If there is - Internet is up. If you hear something like "not registered" message - Internet is down.

Hi Folks,

Just to say I have not been ignoring your kind assistance.

I have just been experimenting, and seeking to Connect, Problem Solve and Reconnect various Devices yesterday (All day and Night).

I can Set the BT SH2 as the Main (Master) Hub, and then Connect The DECT Handsets from BT no problems and no Setting Changes; and connect the ASUS Router downline on LAN, but there seems to be a real loss of Speed and quite possibly Interference from the BT SM2 that is really badly affecting Stability and Speed...

As I am not at all experienced in these matters, I suppose one should give the new "Network" Setup a week or two to allow it to Stabilise...
So here is hoping it works out OK.

If ASUS Support gives me a better Solution I will let you all know.
Thank you ever so much for the assistance and advice CaptainSTX and Tech9 :)