1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

IEEE 802.1Q for RT-AC66U_B1

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by hacesoft, May 28, 2020.

1. hacesoft

hacesoft New Around Here

Hi,
    If I make a TRUNK port on the switch and mark all traffic using IEEE 802.1Q tags, does the ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 understand the router? I uploaded the latest Merlin FW to this router. I ask because I found no mention of tagging.

Thanks for the anwers

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

So "the switch" is on your LAN?

So you have two routers?

The RT-AC66U_B1 doesn't support VLANs. My guess is that it will just ignore any VLAN tags (or drop the packets entirely).

3. hacesoft

hacesoft New Around Here

Hi,
    behind the ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 router I have a NETGEAR GS724Tv4 switch, where I have different VLANs for different paths of the home IT system. I use the ASUS router only as a border router, nothing more. I don't even use his wifi. Only from ASUS I still use the VPN function. And so it occurred to me that the whole system would be transparent, that I would make a TRUNK port on NETGEAR and send the whole trunk to the ASUS border router .... But as you write ASUS does not know VLANs, I will not try to do that ...

Many thanks for the answer ....