What's new

If I go back from using my main AT&T gateway/modem to third party router is it a given all my local ip addresses for devices will change again ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's not a given, at least if you replace old DHCP server with new one while not rebooting the clients. The clients will try to renew their existing DHCP leases, and if the new DHCP server is feeling cooperative it will hand out a fresh lease on the requested address, after which you're golden. I have seen this happen with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouters I use for DHCP servers, but I'm not sure if it's widely implemented that way.

If you're willing to do some manual work, most DHCP servers will let you manually assign IP addresses to MAC addresses, so you could pre-configure the new server to duplicate the existing assignments before you bring it live. Probably only worth bothering with for the clients that you really need to keep stable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!