What's new

If I only have 2 stream AC client, do I get any benefit from AC1750?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveZ

New Around Here
I am considering AC1200 routers, TP-Link Archer C5 ($60) or Linksys EA6350 ($80), versus AC1750's, TP-Link Archer C7 ($90) or C8 ($110). If I do not have any 3 stream clients, will I see any range and/or speed advantages of these specific AC1750 routers compared with the AC1200's? I am wondering if they have a more powerful signal, faster processor, or something else that will help even without 3 stream clients.

I am replacing D-Link DIR-605L (N300 and not Gigabit ethernet). Our house is about 3000 sf on 3 levels. The D-Link works well for basic web surfing, Spotify, etc., but I am now paying for high-speed xfinity (200 Mbps) and want to see the benefits of that bandwidth. We also use Netflix and other Roku channels, and I wonder if the compression would be less with better bandwidth.

My best client device is my Macbook Air (early 2015) with 802.11AC, but I am pretty sure it is just 2 stream. My iPhone6 also has AC. The 5 other clients including the Roku Streaming Stick are 802.11N. But of course new devices will come into our home over the next couple of years (if I get really good results, I would consider upgrading the Roku). I do not expect AC 5 GHz to reach to my most upper level, but I hope it can work on 2 of the 3 floors.

AC1750/AC1900 three stream router/AP's will benefit 2-stream clients - there's a bit of processing and RF gain offered by the 3rd stream (RF gain from signal diversity on Tx/Rx, and coding gain from the MIMO symbol repetition)

Go with an Ac1900 class router. Gives you room to expand.

Only difference between the AC1750 and AC1900 is it the 2.4Ghz band. 450Mbps vs 600Mbps.
AC1900 is definitely the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for advice. Very helpful. I have a follow-up question.

Since one never knows how a router will work in a particular home (layout, building materials, etc.), do you have any suggestions about online retailers with more liberal return policies? I want to avoid a restocking fee and return shipping fee (although that last one may not be possible). Local retailers limit my choices and often have higher prices. Thanks again.

Thanks to all for advice. Very helpful. I have a follow-up question.

Since one never knows how a router will work in a particular home (layout, building materials, etc.), do you have any suggestions about online retailers with more liberal return policies? I want to avoid a restocking fee and return shipping fee (although that last one may not be possible). Local retailers limit my choices and often have higher prices. Thanks again.

That all depends on where you live. Before I bought my Netgear Nighthawk in 2013, I bought a bunch of other AC routers from BestBuy, Staples, Walmart, and etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk