What's new

If it ain't broke...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smitty2k1

New Around Here
I recently purchased and moved into a condo. Our condo association has a bulk account with Comcast/Xfinity. Because of this we are required to purchase a certain Xfinity package that includes internet (25MB, ugh), basic cable (SD only, ugh), a single cable box, and a combo modem router.

Xfinity supplied me with:
ARRIS TG1682G gateway/router.

I own, from my previous place:
ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
ASUS RT-AC66R Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

I'm fortunate that my condo is pre-wired for ethernet and cable and the hub for all this is centrally located in a closet. The wireless router seems to provide fine coverage for my 1,100 sq ft residence and so far I haven't had any troubles with the supplied modem for either internet gateway or LAN switch purposes.

So with that said, am I going down a dead end by attempting to replace the Xfinity modem with my sufboard and adding my AC66R router? What would you do in this situation?

I do not save any money by using my own equipment, as the condo association has negotiated a rate and package with Comcast. Looking online, it appears my old router and modem are still worth a little bit of money, and maybe I could sell them used for $40 each or so.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!