What's new

IFTTT is it worthwhile?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
Hi,

On my RT-AX88U I see I have the option for Alexa (which I would never use) and IFTTT. I only use IFTTT for alerts on some Cameras I have at home. However, is it worthwhile using it on the router? And in terms of privacy is there any risk?

I personally believe it’s a huge security risk marketed at less tech savvy users.

Perhaps on select devices it might make sense, but on the router directly is a pretty scary thought.

I personally believe it’s a huge security risk marketed at less tech savvy users.

Perhaps on select devices it might make sense, but on the router directly is a pretty scary thought.

I've been cautious of using IFTTT ... so I'm not surprised by your statement. I looked over it and it offers nothing I particularly need.

I won't be able to get rid of IFTTT until I get some new IP cams soon. As the only way I can receive notification alerts and SMS alerts is via IFTTT.

GUI of Asus router have been known to have numerous security risks in the past. There might still be unknown security risks that are not known yet. Using IFTTT means it will be opening web GUI to the outside world. So I would rather stay away than being test bed for hackers. You can see a earlier discussion on this here.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!