What's new

I'm looking for a good pair of powerlines with a filtered pass-through outlet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

axaro1

Occasional Visitor
I found a post from 2015(https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/powerline/view) ranking the best powerlines as of 2015.
I tried a pair of TP Link TL-PA8010P AV1300 which caused occasional disconnecting issues (Apparently caused by firmware issue), I recently switched to an RT-AX56U with ASusWrt-Merlin hoping that WIFI 6 paired with an AX200 could be the solution for low latency and good speed. Sadly this wasn't the case so I'm back looking for a powerline since MoCA is not an option.

I just purchased these on Amazon. They work great.

NETGEAR PowerLINE 1200 Mbps, 1 Gigabit Port with Pass-Through, Extra Outlet (PLP1200-100PAS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6DBGIS/?tag=snbforums-20

I know this is loooong but, it is for a reason.

I am using them to connect my 86U to my new man cave. The wiring to this room is a bit different setup. There is a separate 100 amp breaker from the main power breaker box that feeds my home HVAC system and the new room, which is built on our side concrete patio and attaches to the house. The house is fed by the normal 200 amp breaker to the electrical panel in our house. In other words, there are 2 separate power runs from the main meter connection. One feeds the house as normal and the second feeds a second breaker box that has 80 amp breaker for HVAC and a 20 amp breaker for my new room. In my situation, the point of electrical connection between my house and my new room is actually at the main power company meter box, not at the breaker panel in my house. This effectively makes the electrical wiring distance between my house breaker panel and the new room about 100 ft as the hvac box is on the opposite side of the house from the main meter box and the new room is within 10 ft of the main meter box. I explain all this to point out my situation is not the typical layout of the average home wiring and these Netgear units still work very well. I only get about a 60-90 M speed across them but my internet is 50/5 so it works for me. I did run into one operational quirk that puzzled me until I determined what was happening. I originally plugged them in on two wall outlets in my house with my router on one and my laptop on the other. They worked great. I then moved my laptop and one adapter to me new room and ran some tests. Worked great! I then unplugged my laptop and left the 2nd unit in my new room. After a minute or so I noticed the link between the units dropped off. I finally determined that these units go into power saving mode if nothing is plugged into their network port and they drop connection. I then plugged a small switch into the unit in my new room and they linked back up. I just wanted to make sure you know about this quirk so you don’t spend time like I did trying to figure it out. So far I am very happy with their performance.

Last edited:
DHP-P701AV Powerline AV2 2000 Gigabit Passthrough Starter Kit

The kit above has worked well for a select number of customers for me. A good choice when on sale. :)

But with any PLA, buy with a 100% return policy. :)

Last edited:
Sadly this wasn't the case so I'm back looking for a powerline since MoCA is not an option.

A few questions:
  • What was the issue with the WIFI option?
  • What speed / latency do you need?
  • What excluded MoCA? No coax in the location(s)?

Update: I ended up buying a pair of Devolo Magic Lan 2.
I wanted to see how G.hn compared to AV2, I used to get 220-260 mbps on the TP-Link TL-PA8010 AV2 kit that I sold because of the Qualcomm QCA7500 disconnecting issue (reported by many users).
I'm getting 330 - 462 mbps (avg 350), ping testing the gateway is 1-2ms and it's really consistent even during a speedtest, it's interesting to see that these powerlines have a DHCP implementation.