What's new

I'm new - router recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RouterTrek23

Occasional Visitor
Hello -

It's time for a new router, and I want to get the best Merlin-compatible model I reasonably can. My space and needs are modest. Long-term reliability and viability are important; gaming and extended signal coverage are not. Still, I'll consider a gaming-oriented model if it's the best fit. How about the

- RT-AX86U Pro
- RT-AX88U Pro
- GT-AX6000

Are there better options?

Thanks!

Personally I’d go with any of these.

- RT-AX88U Pro (wifi6) (4 antenna)
- GT-AX6000 (wifi6) (4 antenna)
- GT-AX11000 Pro (best) wifi6 (5ghz) (2gbe&10gbe port) (8 antenna)
- GT-AXE11000 wifi6e (2gbe port)(5&6ghz) (8 antenna)

*2.4ghz antenna is built in.

Recommendation if you dont need a router right away? Wait for the AXE86U or whatever the wifi7 one is called.

I have no clue about the AX88U pro, but the AX88u (no pro) was a bad device. So I would definetely read up on if that has been fixed in the pro version. I love my AX88U (non pro), can recommend that any day, especially due to its small formfactor due to being a standing model, instead of lying flat

Recommendation if you dont need a router right away? Wait for the AXE86U or whatever the wifi7 one is called.

I have no clue about the AX88U pro, but the AX88u (no pro) was a bad device. So I would definetely read up on if that has been fixed in the pro version. I love my AX88U (non pro), can recommend that any day, especially due to its small formfactor due to being a standing model, instead of lying flat
That's a bit confusing ,in one breath you say the 88u non Pro is bad then you say you love yours 🤔I think you mean the ax 86 u because the 88 u does sit flat the 86u sits upright doesn't it ??

Last edited:
I'd get the RT-AX88UPro if you can't stand the looks of the GT-AX6000.

You didnt say how large your place is or what you are replacing.

My space and needs are modest.

RT-AX86U Pro

Sounds like you don't need extra 2.5GbE ports, this router is vertical space saving design, lowest price for the newest hardware available, already Asuswrt-Merlin support available and a new Pro firmware option in the future (Asuswrt, currently in Beta stage). It will become popular for the same reasons.

I really like the specs of the RT-AX88U_PRO. They are well-balanced (having a pair of 2.5 Gbps ports to allow both WAN and LAN multigig support).

This is the same hardware router as GT-AX11000 - older gen router with BCM4908 CPU and BCM43684 radios. Asus is moving away from this hardware. GT-AX11000 Pro in your list is the newer BCM4912 CPU and BCM6715 radios router with more usable today 2x 5GHz bands and Pro firmware coming.
I mentioned it because of its inclusion of 6Ghz. If the AX11000 pro offered that then I wouldn’t have mentioned the axe11000

I really like the specs of the RT-AX88U_PRO. They are well-balanced (having a pair of 2.5 Gbps ports to allow both WAN and LAN multigig support).
Listen to this man, I think he knows a thing or two :)

RT-AX88U Pro is normal looking GT-AX6000 targeting people with older RT-AX88U units. The older units are still very capable though.

RT-AX88U Pro is normal looking GT-AX6000 targeting people with older RT-AX88U units.
And should be a bit cheaper as it won`t suffer from the Gamer Product tax. I haven`t checked actual pricing tho.

An RT-AX86U Pro with 2x 2.5GbE ports and optional GT-AX5700 ROG with 2x 2.5GbE ports and some Gaming design with RGB lights (similar to what RT-AC86U and GT-AC2900 were) would have covered both Pro and Gamer markets and made products like GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro not needed. The two imaginary routers above would have become extremely popular with perhaps 9:1 sales ratio. The manufacturing costs would have been lower as well as software development costs. Not sure why Asus is always competing with themselves. It's like GM situation in the past with the same cars branded as Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Buick and Cadillac (plus Opel, Vauxhall and Holden in other places) - proven ineffective high cost marketing strategy.

If you do not need 8 lan ports like the ax-88u pro has, then go the the ax6000. The higher price is mostly from the ax-88u pro having 8 lan ports. I like mine, ax6000, and with Merlin firmware you can go with the ROG based firmware or the Merlin based, which I use, and you're going to have a winner. Price is good right now for the ax-6000. It isn`t much larger sitting on the table as the ax-88u. The main difference is the antenna layout, and it does have some pretty colored lighting if you like that. Merlin firmware allows you to turn the lights off, so it's sits on table looking like a big black box with little white led`s and a different antenna layout.

The AX88U Pro is currently $350 and the AX6000 $260 USD on Amazon. Looks like they're giving the dead spiders the better discounts.
Is that $260 USD regular pricing, or special discount? And is the RT-AX88U_Pro MSRP, or scalper pricing from a reseller?

thanks for correcting me. I looks like the ax6000 with one less usb port when looking at rear. I am like Merlin, who is selling the ax6000 for $260 and is that a special price or possibly a bait and switch deal. Hope the price is from a reputable seller. I got mine at Xmas for that price from a reputable ASUS dealer. Still ax6000 is a good router, but with gamers focus. Ugly is only in the eyes of others. Kinda of like the strange look.
Thanks Merlin for your great work and putting up with unneeded posts about your dedication to making the best firmware for ASUS routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!