What's new

I'm Perplexed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomw

New Around Here
I recently upgraded my data speed from Comcast from 150 to 300. It seemed like everything went smoothly. I went over to speednet and sure enough was pulling 345. Now what has me perplexed is that this increase had no effect on my wireless speeds. I had 2.4 speeds around 38 and 5.0 speeds around 55 and they stayed pretty much in that area. I have an Asus rt66n-u router and so I have been picking around inside the GUI and really cant find anything obvious to do. I am such a rookie when it comes to doing things like this but I had kind of hoped this might be a pretty straight forward type of thing.
I had also installed a Tp-Link EAP 225 wired access point downstairs connected by a Powerline adaptor- a D-Link AV2 2000. This was done prior to the data increase from Comcast. There were no real changes here either. Am I just out in left field somewhere? I just assumed that a landline increase would be passed along to the wireless. I have done (long ago) all of the suggested things for wifi like best places to put the router, keeping it away from other radio sources. Does anybody here know if there is a tutorial for dumb people that might help me squeeze a little more form this router (did I mention that I really do love this router). I know if there is a problem it is one of my own doing-but I would really love some help. The Comcast lady was very nice and she seemed to think I should be able to get at least 100 Mbs out of the wireless. Thanks and sorry for the rambleing.

Depends at what speed your devices are connecting to your router. A lot of laptops come with very low-end wireless interfaces that won't get more than a 150 Mbps link rate (and the actual throughput is generally roughly half of the link rate).

I know if there is a problem it is one of my own doing-but I would really love some help.

Tom, I have had no problem getting higher speeds from my RT-N66U by starting with settings outlined in the attached summary, and then only changing if there is a known need. These suggestions were all gathered from other trusted sources, including the SNB Forums.

Attachments

• WiFi Router Setup Recommendations.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,674
I recently upgraded my data speed from Comcast from 150 to 300. It seemed like everything went smoothly. I went over to speednet and sure enough was pulling 345. Now what has me perplexed is that this increase had no effect on my wireless speeds. I had 2.4 speeds around 38 and 5.0 speeds around 55 and they stayed pretty much in that area. I have an Asus rt66n-u router and so I have been picking around inside the GUI and really cant find anything obvious to do. I am such a rookie when it comes to doing things like this but I had kind of hoped this might be a pretty straight forward type of thing.
I had also installed a Tp-Link EAP 225 wired access point downstairs connected by a Powerline adaptor- a D-Link AV2 2000. This was done prior to the data increase from Comcast. There were no real changes here either. Am I just out in left field somewhere? I just assumed that a landline increase would be passed along to the wireless. I have done (long ago) all of the suggested things for wifi like best places to put the router, keeping it away from other radio sources. Does anybody here know if there is a tutorial for dumb people that might help me squeeze a little more form this router (did I mention that I really do love this router). I know if there is a problem it is one of my own doing-but I would really love some help. The Comcast lady was very nice and she seemed to think I should be able to get at least 100 Mbs out of the wireless. Thanks and sorry for the rambleing.
Have a look here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a-little-bit-of-pushing-my-rt-n66u.33539/
The test were done shortly after my connection was upgraded to fiber 500/500.
Some later I have dismissed my RT-N66U and purchased a RT-AC68U.
At least you see that that the RT-N66U is capable to hit 500/500 with a wired connection.
The wireless side depends, as menitoned by RMerlin, on the router AND the client wireless adapter.
Wireless 802.11n goes up to 450 Mbps, this requires a wireless client with 3 data stream of 150 Mbps each, so called 3x3. Those 3x3 clients are very rare. It can be difficult to figure out what your wireless clients do support.
Far most clients only support one stream (1x1, 150 Mbps max.), a few support two streams (2x2, 300 Mbps max.).
The final throughput as mentioned is roughly half of the link rate, so for 1x1 it is 75 Mbps.
For 2.4 GHz the above values are only valid for a 40 MHz connection, in crowded areas the connection scales down to 20 Mhz which half's the link rate for a single stream to about 75 Mbps, resulting in a throughput of about 35 Mbps. I think this 35 Mbps is what you see.
Next, this 35 Mbps is very dependent on the wireless conditions, distance, number of walls or floors and neighbors.
To be short: to get the maximum out of your Comcast connection you shall upgrade your wireless network to 802.11ac, this involves a new router and new wireless adapters in the computers (if possible).

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!