What's new

I’m terrified and am so hoping someone can help me

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SAP Brian

New Around Here
Hello all, I am posting today desperately hoping to get some advice and direction on how to eradicate what I’m fairly certain is referred to as an Advanced Threat infection I found 3 months ago on my home network.

I’m an independent SAP applications consultant who has been practicing for 20 years with the previous 10 years logged at various consulting and software companies. I have a passion for watching a client’s eyes light up when they “get” something I explain that finally clicks with them. I get joy from the short thank you emails I receive and I have been so very fortunate to have clients who have been with me for upwards to 10 years.

In short, I have been very fortunate, but i have also been foolish. While I have a strong technical background in mainframe/JCL/SQL/COBOL programming, I got lazy about 10 years ago. I fell into that trap of doing well and advancing organizationally but at the expense of staying current with technology. I chose instead to focus more on my personal life and less on keeping up with the emerging technology advancements and especially the risks that come with them.

I realized what a mistake very soon after August 10th at 6:30 pm when something went crazy with my laptop and it started changing file permissions and extracting all of my personal photos, videos, as well as my client files without any input from me. It then deleted most of my personal and professional email accounts. I didn’t know what hit me.

Odd things had been happening for several weeks prior to the first attack - ever since I had migrated to my own licensed version of Microsoft 365 Professional and installed a trial subscription to Azure ironically as the first part of a plan to become current with the latest information technology environments.

That was until the first laptop attack. My world changed that day. I had no idea why I was targeted for what I now know are attacks usually aimed at large businesses due to the level of customization built into the code of each individual attack. I was working through an agency at a large, well-known insurance company but was never informed about any IT policies and procedures other than the standard expectations of staying in your own lane and keeping current with virus protection. This was my first long-term assignment in several years so I didn’t know that there were new protocols dealing with MDM, BYOD (terms I didn’t even know yet) nor any of the other more recent standard do’s and don’t such as not using the same laptop for both business and personal use.

And to make matters worse I didn’t really know the technology in my home network nor understand the risks or vulnerabilities I might face with an insecure network. I was sadly one of those who didn’t even change the default credentials on my Motorola modem/router combo. When I installed my Eeros mesh network I did know that I wanted to keep the Motorola and bridge through the Motorola to the Eeros, but delegated the task to my partner who wasn’t very good at following through with specific instructions but was very good with technical know how. I didn’t check his work and of course later found the bridge was never activated which created two networks - one for each router - and of course we only monitored the Eeros network, leaving the Motorola network with its default credentials unmonitored.

Fast forward through more all nighters than I can count and certainly more than I ever pulled when working for the most-demanding consulting firms. I had hundreds of files, screen prints, log files, and java code that created fake Windows sign-on screens which I’m sure collected all of my passwords providing access to my laptop and the rest of the passwords stored there. Then came more stolen or deleted IDs, three operating systems and associated virtual networks installed on at least three computers and the usage of my client VPN programs being used to funnel my data to an unknown destination. Also, this “thing” is routinely screening my remaining email accounts and selectively deleting both inbound and outbound emails usually from clients or family.

I should also mention that while it seems like someone really hates me and that the attack is personal, I can’t think of a single person who would dislike me enough or have any reason to do this to me or my system.

And my service providers have only made things worse. Microsoft hasn’t gotten involved despite my pleading for assistance and a few weeks ago went so far as to block my business Email account for “suspicious activity” - a day after I filed a ticket showing that someone had build a tenant structure above my own single tenant - using a subscription that had been expired and replaced by my existing one. Now they are ignoring tickets and dodging calls and emails to please unlock and/or unblock my business account and two personal accounts which are the recovery accounts to my business account. Apple is researching a strange Asset Trust Version 7 assignment that just appeared one day on my iPad along with a strange non-root certificate. This would be the iPad that now moves through screens on its own and resets flags while I watch in wonderment. But they only work device by device which isn’t possible when dealing with a systemic issue like this. And the ticket I have opened has lingered for two weeks.And Spectrum, who convinced me to use their equipment so they would be able to read logs and root out the network squatters who installed or created a hidden network on that unsecured Motorola router, says they’ve never seen anything like this before and closed the ticket after providing an internal email address to write to that turns out to only deal with Intellectual Property.

Despite some very strong evidence of foul play by companies which may factor into how I became a target for this particular attack, the most humiliating part of all is the look in friends’ eyes when you tell them what is happening and their eyes glaze over and they try to change the subject because they don’t want to hurt my feelings and tell me that I am losing my mind and a step away from looking for government planted bugs in my rental home walls.

And to add to my devastation my partner left me last night. Apparently he can no longer live with my long hours trying to put an end to this hostage situation while he sleeps and won’t even look at the evidence I have backing up,every statement I make.

What no one realizes is that these imaginary gremlins are costing me my consulting practice. I cannot place infected equipment onto client networks. And I can’t user a loaner on my home network. My clients don’t understand why my reliability disappeared after being consistently reliable for years. At first I tried to keep them updated but as the circumstances became stranger I found myself in a Catch-22 since I can’t share the real details or I would probably be phased out for showing signs of madness.

I feel so alone and, for the first time in my adult life, truly frightened. And I can’t seem to get anyone who i pay for their products or services to help me. So I am reaching out to your group because of all the groups I’ve come across, SNB members seem to be the people with whom I have the most in common and hopefully can provide some guidance.

Providing all this detail may seem as if I am seeking sympathy, but I’m not. I made mistakes and these are the consequences of them. The details are just to illustrate how hard I’ve worked to fight this while defending myself against skepticism about my mental health, the devastation it’s causing to my business, and the physical toll of little sleep. It’s overwhelming and I am almost ready to pack it in and give up which I’ve never done in cases like this where the stakes are high and repercussions so dire.

My understanding is that any realistic possibility of eradication should be to first secure my network so that the threat actor cannot get back inside and then gradually add devices back onto the secured network after they have been completely cleaned of the malware.

It seems like the general consensus is that the Asus modem in tandem with Mr. Merlin’s Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and possibly one or two other security programs I saw mentioned would be my best option from a hardware standpoint. I also wrote down a few recommendations regarding WAN settings.

As for the malware I am hoping that factory setting restores will take care of the malicious code on the devices, but then I also read some of the more parasitic code survives a factory reset because it hides deep inside the BIOS.

I would be incredibly grateful for any guidance on eradicating the malicious modifications in my hardware as well as thoughts on how to set up my network to protect against threats like this in the future. I live in the Los Angeles area and would also be appreciative of any recommendation for a security professional or company that could help me stop the damage being done before things get worse than they already have gotten.

On a side note, if anyone knows someone or an organization that would find value in the Malware source code and complete BOOTP installations I’ve been able to expose and preserve I’d be happy to share any and all of it.

Many thanks,
Brian

I am not a security professional. But this is what I'd do.

Redouble your efforts to find a computer security pro in the LA area. I find it hard to believe they don't exist. They will likely be expensive. Get and check references.

Consider all the devices that you have that are networkable to be toast. Router(s), smartphones, tablets, computers, etc. Shut them off, take out batteries. If you can't take out the battery, put them in airplane mode, turn up the screen brightness and run the battery down. Do NOT try to "clean" any of these devices. You will waste time and money and are unlikely to be successful if you are compromised as badly as you say you are.

Assume all data files you have to be compromised/infected. Do NOT attempt to use any of them until you are sure you have a clean non-networked device to scan them.

Buy a new computer. Install a VM on it. Install Ubuntu or another Linux OS on the VM. Linux is less likely to be targeted for common exploits. That way you'll start with a clean OS each time. Save your data on a flash drive.

Assume your identity has been stolen. Contact the credit reporting agencies, check your reports, close accounts.

Close all your online accounts, if you can, given that your passwords have likely been changed so that you can't authenticate.

Get a new cellphone and number. New email address.

Get a password manager and have it generate random, strong passwords for all the new accounts you'll establish. DO NOT store the master password on any device. Write it down and keep it in a secure place, away from your computers. You shouldn't need to access it very often.

Good luck.

Go to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/ and start learning how to clean and fix.

Sometimes you are at a point where you need to wipe and start over. Some things can not be fixed.

Simple things you need to do:
1. Keep your bios up to date
2. Use a router with current software up to date.
3. Keep up to date Microsoft software.

I consider these are the basics. You break one of these rules and you are exposing your network and equipment. This can force you to wipe and start over by breaking one of these rules.

Last edited:
@thiggins is correct.

Yes, basically every device, account (online or not), bank card(s), credit card(s) and any data and passwords that were stored on those devices is basically to be abandoned.

Cancel your ISP account as a first step. They are always the first source of my suspicions because they are inherently linked to your network. Unplug, turn off and decommission all your current network equipment. Cancel all bank/credit cards and all automatic payments through them. Replace them concurrently without explaining all you have stated in your first post above. I would even consider moving to a different bank to get new accounts at this point in your position.

Install a new ISP, even from a nominally worse internet provider. Do not connect anything to that new network provider until you have put in your own router and have it as locked down and as secure as possible. But do not ever, ever connect any personal device 'bare' to the ISP's modem/router. If you do, you may as well openly share your network with your ISP and all their workers, contractors and all their insecure systems too.

Get a new phone and a new SIM card for it too. Reset the old phone, destroy the old SIM card and destroy the phone too (because we can't really erase the storage on it).

On your computers, get new HDD's or SSD's. Remove the old ones and destroy them. Destroy any backups you may have had that you connected (or may have connected) to any of your affected devices.

With a new storage device, use the Windows 10 download service to create a USB installer and do a new Windows 10 install on each existing device you buy. Do not do this with the existing HDD or SSD installed. If the internal storage cannot be removed; use a hammer on it and buy a new device.

Each future device you buy, set it up as an Administrator but use it as a Standard User (Windows systems).

Create a new email account. Create a new MS account. Create aliases for that new account and never use the original for emails or for signing onto devices. Specifically; use one alias to sign onto devices and another alias for emails, but never use the actual 'real' MS account you created new, randomly named, and effectively untraceable to you along with a password that is just as unique too.

Buy new MS Office 365 subscriptions. Create new passwords that you have never used before nor would anyone be able to guess you would use them (yes; the more random, the longer, the better).

I'm sure there are a lot of other things I can suggest given enough time, but if you can see from the above that there is no electronic device you can trust right now, no matter how slim the chance of it being affected is.

Take this as seriously as it is. It will cost you dollars and time to get back to being a normal user. Accept it.

This may be a hard lesson for you. Take notes and hopefully, you can not only come out as unscathed as possible, but you may be able to help others in similar situations in the future too.

Last edited:
Wow. You guys are pretty extreme. Personally I would argue that almost any device can be wiped and rebuilt safely. It may get trickier on some of indeed the bios is infected (bit I'd want proof first, not just a guess), but even that is recoverable. Shut it all down. Rebuild device by device starting with infrastructure (routers, etc). New email accounts, new passwords, new cloud storage etc, yes, but it shouldn't be that hard to figure out what hardware is salvageable.

[Edited to remove my unwarranted comment]

Last edited:
I am beginning to turn on tamper protection in Windows10. It seems good without problems. I may turn it on in 19 PCs very soon.

I am beginning to turn on tamper protection in Windows10. It seems good without problems. I may turn it on in 19 PCs very soon.

I've been using it for a few months without issues too. I was running as a Windows Insider for a while on a couple of systems as a tester.

Thanks everyone for your very detailed suggestions. I really appreciate the time you took. I don’t seek help often so this was pretty difficult to reach out and I apologize for oversharing - I tend to err on the side of too many details as opposed to not enough, but I should have refrained from including some of the personal stuff after going back today and re-reading the post. Sorry for the unnecessary soap opera :)

I’d like to avoid replacing all of the devices but I don’t want to take any chances either. I played around today with an old iPad I completely refreshed, and unlike some said on other discussion boards, the fake certificate and strange trust did disappear which was hopeful. I also tried static address assignment today (just as a test) with the crappy Spectrum router connected to the Spectrum modem and my Erros gateway connected to the Spectrum router in a double NAT situation just to see if the changed IPs would do anything. As I suspected they didn’t.

I’ll stall on the replacement of ALL devices and concentrate on replacing the entire network infrastructure and OS and then determine replacements after speaking with a speciality, which I am going to search for as soon as I finish this reply. I’ll also look for another ISP but I don’t think I’ll find many options with that.

I have a new laptop still in the box that I am taking to a hotel for a few days to get online privacy and hopefully a lot of client work complete. I’m hoping that whatever this is can’t get past the hotel security which I will be sure to ask about. I’ll also download all of the factory installs onto fresh drives while I am there in case it turns out some laptops are salvageable. And I have already backed up every file to iCloud so when the time comes, I will scan them on an uninflected laptop as suggested.

I do have to say that the biggest shocker for me was that Windows 10 -1903 has a tamper protection option, I’ve been though most Windows 10 screens (both Home and Pro) hundreds of times and have never seen it so I looked it up and even though I have had clean Windows installs on new machines I have NEVER seen this option. It’s simply not on the screen where I saw it for the first time online.

Thank you all again for the great advice. Unfortunately, everything I wrote is true without any exaggeration, so as one of you said I do hope to someday turn this into a teachable experience to help others not make the same mistakes I did. That’s one of the biggest things keeping me going right now. Many thanks! Brian

I've been using it for a few months without issues too. I was running as a Windows Insider for a while on a couple of systems as a tester.
The one thing I’ve noticed with tamper protection is that it will sometimes be randomly disabled after an update, so you have to keep an eye on it. Updating 1903 -> 1909 the security center threw a warning that it was disabled.

Wow. You guys are pretty extreme. Personally I would argue that almost any device can be wiped and rebuilt safely.
You may be right, but I'd add the disclaimer "with enough time and talent".

If one's livelihood depends on having clean devices, I consider it cheap insurance to buy new and not waste the time trying to recover compromised devices. At minimum, as has been suggested, you need to start with new SSD/hard drives. But that doesn't address compromised BIOS flash.

3. Keep up to date Microsoft software.

Or find (open source) alternatives...

And as far as hard drives, I’m somewhat surprised nobody has mentioned encryption yet.

This is a huge OpSec lesson that is painful to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as far as hard drives, I’m somewhat surprised nobody has mentioned encryption yet.

Drive encryption is only useful to protect against loss/theft, since you typically have it unlocked whenever you have it accessed from a computer.

I used it for a customer of mine who's a lawyer. I have the data on his QNAP NAS encrypted, so if someone were to run away with his NAS, he wouldn't be able to retrieve much out of it...

I have a new laptop still in the box that I am taking to a hotel for a few days to get online privacy and hopefully a lot of client work complete. I’m hoping that whatever this is can’t get past the hotel security which I will be sure to ask about
Typically, this is where people GET problems, not resolve them. Public / hotel systems more or less have to be less secure than personal or business networks as they have to be able to accommodate a huge variety of clients and applications.

Be sure to secure you laptop BEFORE connecting to any public wifi.

Again, wiping and reinstalling your existing equipment is the reasonable approach. 99.99% of devices in general can be cleaned this way. Go to a friend's house or business, download iso images and burn to dvds to perform your reinitializations, IMO is the best approach. Don't see any point in changing ISPs or anything like that, they are all the same, and it is your internal network that matters.

Last edited:
At minimum, as has been suggested, you need to start with new SSD/hard drives. But that doesn't address compromised BIOS flash.
Completely disagree :) Been 8n the 'biz' for almost 40 years. Never seen a HDD that can retain anything after a low level format (or one of the many secure wipe utils put there). I'd concert that a bios chip may be more resilient, but a reflash from a read only source (cd, dvd, etc), if there really is malware in it, would again wipe 99.99% of the time. Personally, I've got a number of eeprom programmers and it surely wouldn't survive that :) but, yes, beyond your average user. However, getting a new bios chip isnt hard or expensive vs tossing the whole computer.

Encrypting the drive typically doesn't do anything to prevent malware. It can help protect your data, as is the case here where Brian "saw" files being deleted ,*if* the data is stored in a vault, and the vault is not open at the time the malware kicked in, but as rmerlin mentioned, typically, if the device is on, and you are logged in, then encryption wouldn't be likely to help most of the time. The malware would just be stored encrypted on your drive :)

Last edited:
I do have to say that the biggest shocker for me was that Windows 10 -1903 has a tamper protection option, I’ve been though most Windows 10 screens (both Home and Pro) hundreds of times and have never seen it so I looked it up and even though I have had clean Windows installs on new machines I have NEVER seen this option.
Keep in mind it was a feature only released in thec1903 update so would not appear in anything earlier.
"Along with this announcement, Microsoft will be enabling this security feature on all Windows 10 devices by default." Opinions above seem to show that enabled by default may not be the case, or at least after another update. Also keep in mind this (hopefully) closes only a couple of attack vectors and there are still numerous other ways in.

Security is only as good as the weakest point in your infrastructure.

Last edited:
Completely disagree :) Been 8n the 'biz' for almost 40 years. Never seen a HDD that can retain anything after a low level format (or one of the many secure wipe utils put there). I'd concert that a bios chip may be more resilient, but a reflash from a read only source (cd, dvd, etc), if there really is malware in it, would again wipe 99.99% of the time. Personally, I've got a number of eeprom programmers and it surely wouldn't survive that :) but, yes, beyond your average user. However, getting a new bios chip isnt hard or expensive vs tossing the whole computer.

With UEFI it's a whole new ballgame now. There has been malware already that exploited UEFI to hide themselves and survive any disk wiping - because it ends up in the motherboard's flash.

That may be your experience. Mine is that I wasted enough time on a neighbor's machine doing multiple clean installs only to have the malware come back. After a new hard drive, problem was solved.

Could have been I didn't choose the right secure wipe program. But, to me, it's cheap insurance to put in a new drive and destroy the old one.

One word - ChromeBook

They are designed and built with security in mind, and as long as one mindful of the Android app situation (don't need to enable the Play Store)

@sfx2000, I can't agree with Chromebooks, just google personified. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!